Homemade vertical mill drill

Wow, it's been a whole year since I've done anything on this project. Well, work has been busy and right now all my machines are buried behind stuff that had to move to make way for our construction project.

When I get back from vacation I'll have to see about selling off/donating some of my miscellaneous junk and moving some of the other stuff to storage. With how slow construction is going I don't think I can wait until it's done, and even if I could I'd still have to deal with junk that should be disposed of anyway. Best to get going on it now....

John

Wow, it's been a whole year since I've done anything on this project. Well, work has been busy and right now all my machines are buried behind stuff that had to move to make way for our construction project.

When I get back from vacation I'll have to see about selling off/donating some of my miscellaneous junk and moving some of the other stuff to storage. With how slow construction is going I don't think I can wait until it's done, and even if I could I'd still have to deal with junk that should be disposed of anyway. Best to get going on it now....

John
I didnt read the whole thread, but what happened to your original X-Y table?

I
I didnt read the whole thread, but what happened to your original X-Y table?
I still have it, sitting under a workbench in Michigan. They're suitable for positioning holes on a drill press, but I doubt for much more than that.

John

I

I still have it, sitting under a workbench in Michigan. They're suitable for positioning holes on a drill press, but I doubt for much more than that.

John
Thanks, I'm looking for something like that and amazon reviews aren't always accurate. I may pick one up to see if I can modify it and make it suitable for a mini mill.

I liken these cheap things to a set of castings to be finished rather than a finished product.

Thanks, I'm looking for something like that and amazon reviews aren't always accurate. I may pick one up to see if I can modify it and make it suitable for a mini mill.

I liken these cheap things to a set of castings to be finished rather than a finished product.
If you’re actually planning on using one for milling is recommend looking for an older US, Japan, or European made one.

I found the screws and nuts on mine to be so loose as to be unworkable. After experimenting with creating new delrin nuts I just gave up and bought the ball screw stages I’m using now.

How close was the one from LMS to the size you need? Their price seemed pretty good and anything actually built for milling should be much better than the one I had.

John

Thinking this needs to go to clear space for other projects. Anyone interested in buying complete? If not I may part it out.

John

Still looking to send this machine on it's way.

$500 complete or will part out.

Back