Homemade vertical mill drill

Thank you for mentioning freecad, just downloaded it myself and bout to dive in.

Need to get back to this project now that my new/old lathe is almost ready to help finish the pulleys for the new spindle/motor.

I’m helping with a Centroid upgrade on the prototyping mill at work.

John

Thank you for mentioning freecad, just downloaded it myself and bout to dive in.

It’s a good program. They use SolidWorks at work so I may join EAA so I can get a copy for my shop.

John

BDEFFBC5-F4B8-42B3-A516-83AF273034AA.jpegWow, really need to update this thread, doesn’t even show the new XY stage or table.

Will get back to it next week.

More recent photo

Update, today I got the motor mounted and ordered a smaller belt. Might have it running again tomorrow.
D7BFD539-792D-43AB-8A8B-B4DB664212B1.jpeg

F1E8AADE-CE0D-43D5-9F07-8C0594B57FFB.jpeg

John

Attachments

• CCF40F19-3E26-42DF-B8FD-36173D84C0CC.jpeg
    CCF40F19-3E26-42DF-B8FD-36173D84C0CC.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 11
  • 9CC574F1-68CD-49F3-93EC-DDC946AC3523.jpeg
    9CC574F1-68CD-49F3-93EC-DDC946AC3523.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 9
  • C0A40079-266A-47A9-B567-A8B82BB35906.jpeg
    C0A40079-266A-47A9-B567-A8B82BB35906.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 8
So I really need to get this trammed in and I think a circular square would be the ticket. Except I don't want to buy one and I don't think it would work with how small the Z is on this thing.

So, I'm thinking a fairly large bearing race just might be the ticket. I have a surface plate and lapping plate so I figure I can verify/correct within my realm of precision. Anyone have something like this they would like to part with?

Better suggestions? Doesn't need to be perfect but needs to be better than what I have.

Originally I planned on an epoxy granite base but that never happened so it's riding on a fabricated steel base which isn't exactly flat or square. Would like to get it at least good enough to know if it's worthwhile building a new base for it....

John

So I really need to get this trammed in and I think a circular square would be the ticket. Except I don't want to buy one and I don't think it would work with how small the Z is on this thing.

So, I'm thinking a fairly large bearing race just might be the ticket. I have a surface plate and lapping plate so I figure I can verify/correct within my realm of precision. Anyone have something like this they would like to part with?

Better suggestions? Doesn't need to be perfect but needs to be better than what I have.

Originally I planned on an epoxy granite base but that never happened so it's riding on a fabricated steel base which isn't exactly flat or square. Would like to get it at least good enough to know if it's worthwhile building a new base for it....

John

I've seen chunks of hydraulic ram shaft suggested for this use. Apparently the shafts are precision ground, or very close to it, so you just have to make sure it sits squarely on a base.

I found a large bearing race on eBay cheap. I didn't mind paying a little for it because I figure it is a forever tool. I guess that would get your spindle trammed vertical but not necessarily your Z axis.

Last night I realized I have several lathe backing plates that will do what I need and should be plenty accurate for this use.

Back