Honey, I'd like to replace the sink in the kitchen

I read the first post I thought the sink alone was $15K! Thinking that I'm in the wrong business...
Alas I've done two complete kitchen renos and three bathroom renos.
Kitchens need a definite strategy if one doesn't want to eat out for a week etc.

The first bath I brought in my niece's hubby who is a master plumber. Took him two hours to do what would have taken a day of me messing about.
We did collaborate on my brother's full bath reno and I got top marks as a plumber's apprentice; sink, toilet and full tub/shower enclosure in and sealed up in five hours. Still not going to give up my day job!
Good luck Jeff! (seriously...I hope it's awesome when complete.)

Could have bought a lot more tools for 15 grand; I am assuming that your cost overrun for shop replacement may have something to do with the kitchen remodel?
Ha Ha Ha Ha, Oh that's a good belly laugh.
Maybe.
I understand the master bathroom is next.
Strange thing happened John, we got an offer on our property in Paradise for full price. We had it pretty high. I don't know what to think of this.

Our house is 20 years old. Wife wants a new kitchen. Present on is a cheap builder's special. Since I've got access to my old business, I'll make the cabinets there. It's a commercial shop, not kitchen. One of the CAD guys offered to do that part. The CNC & the bander operators offered to run the parts. I'll run the dowel & insert machine, case clamp, drawer clamp and do final assembly. Goes pretty quick. Shop will fabricate the solid surface, so the sink will be installed there. But first we've got to get new floors. I ran hickory T&G but will hire it installed & finished. The project is on hold because of other things.

My wife wanted to go down the same road and put a "farm sink" in as well. I realized it wasn't going to be a drop
in deal and, like you would need cabinet work. I actually managed to talk her out of it and upgraded to a better drop in sink instead. Whew! :) Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

A friend had a complete kitchen re-do. New floor, cabinets, dishwasher, fridge and new sink. She fell in love with a large single bowl stainless sink.
The problem, regarding the beautiful sink, was she couldn't risk any scuff or water spot or (God forbid) scratch. Fear of potential blemish caused her to walk about 20 feet, to a bathroom, to wash her normal daily dishes. If she had to wash something in the sacred urn, a plastic tub was used to protect it. Want a glass of water? Towel the sink dry. The whole circumstance was a giant PITA.

I decided, if I was ever forced into a similar situation, the way to deal with it would be to buy TWO sinks. Install one and actually use it. The backup would be stored safely, ready for installation if the other ever became unserviceable. Kind of like her wearing a CZ while keeping the real ROCK in a safety deposit box. The one in service isn't all that precious when you know you have another on hand.

I hope your new sink is completely "serviceable".

What is the construction/material of the new sink?

Back