Honey, I'd like to replace the sink in the kitchen

I actually live on a farm. Let me see; how many sinks do we have: 1 in the kitchen, 3 in the bathrooms, 2 in the basement, 3 in the barn, 1 in the shop. I count ten sinks in all. Here's your bargain, Jeff: For $15k, I'll sell you ALL TEN GENUINE FARM SINKS - and I'll throw in free shipping.

Just send me your address.

Regards,
Terry

A friend had a complete kitchen re-do. New floor, cabinets, dishwasher, fridge and new sink. She fell in love with a large single bowl stainless sink.
The problem, regarding the beautiful sink, was she couldn't risk any scuff or water spot or (God forbid) scratch. Fear of potential blemish caused her to walk about 20 feet, to a bathroom, to wash her normal daily dishes. If she had to wash something in the sacred urn, a plastic tub was used to protect it. Want a glass of water? Towel the sink dry. The whole circumstance was a giant PITA.

I decided, if I was ever forced into a similar situation, the way to deal with it would be to buy TWO sinks. Install one and actually use it. The backup would be stored safely, ready for installation if the other ever became unserviceable. Kind of like her wearing a CZ while keeping the real ROCK in a safety deposit box. The one in service isn't all that precious when you know you have another on hand.

I hope your new sink is completely "serviceable".

What is the construction/material of the new sink?
It looks like ceramic with white porcelain.
Your friend with the nutso wife story. That's just ridiculous

Attachments

• sink 3.jpg
    sink 3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 40
On Memorial Day weekend, 2006, I sealed our kitchen off from the rest of the house and we began demolition. We essentially removed everything but the roof and floor joists with two 2x4's supporting the outer roof. In November 2006, I removed the seals on the door to the house and we moved back in.

At the start of the project, I moved the the kitchen sink and washer/dryer into our basement and the electric stove, microwave, dish washer, and fridge into the dining room. The dish washer was left unconnected. Aside from having to carry dishes up and down stairs.

We had a local contractor help with the demolition and rough carpentry and I hired a guy to assist with the base cabinet construction. We had the 30+ feet of quartz countertops professionally installed. Through most of 2006, I was a partner in a startup business and not drawing salary. In Novemvber, we began getting a paycheck so I couldn't commit to full time work on the kitchen. We hired a cabinet maker to make our custom upper cabinets and island and they were finished in February 2007. It took another year to get the remaining cabinet work and trim finished and the under cabinet lighting wasn't finished until 2012 (I needed the Tormach CNC, purchased in December, 201, to cut the custom fixtures). After I retired in 2013. I made the last of the overhead LED bounce lighting, formally completing the project

We ended up with a class kitchen for our effort and inconvenience and if we had to do it all again, we wouldn't hesitate.Kitchen 1 3.JPG

It looks like ceramic with white porcelain.
Your friend with the nutso wife story. That's just ridiculous

Absolutely ridiculous, but absolutely true.
BTW, she wasn't married (anymore) LOL. She was the "friend". It was her house. I wasn't present during the renovation.

@RJSakowski

Beautiful kitchen.
The three corner cabinets look like they rotate to open. Is that correct? Very nice.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

I forgot one. My bride did essentially the same thing a couple of years ago. She found a sho-nuff genuine, dyed-in-the-wool old-timey farm sink. Based on the stamps in the casting, we estimate it's pushing 100 years old.

Here's how the conversation went:

Her: Hi, Honey. Wait'll you see what I found at the flea market. You're gonna love it.
(That's a dead give-away I'm either gonna hate it, or it's going to take a lot of time to make it work. Or both.)

Me: Oh, that's nice. What is it?
Her: I found the perfect little sink for the greenhouse.
Me: (Under my breath, uh-oh). Out loud. Oh great! Can't wait to see it. Where is it?
Her: Well...it's still at the flea market. I couldn't get in the car.
Me: That's okay, we can just hop in the Tacoma and go get it.
Her: I think you may need the Dodge dually.
Me: Excuse me?
Her: And maybe call one of the boys for some help.
Me: Hmm. Do I need a forklift?
Her: I don't 'think' so. At least the guy who sold it to me said you didn't.

So off we go to the flea market, and come home with a 'sink'. I think it's more of a battleship. It took three of us to get it into the shop, and about two weeks to build the cabinet for it. But it's now resting comfortably in her greenhouse. So, Jeff, I feel your pain. If it's any encouragement to you, it turned out okay.

(P.S.: If you want me to throw this sink in on the deal, I'm afraid the price goes up to $35,000 PLUS shipping.)

Frame is 1/8" wall square tubing:
IMG_0085.jpeg

Cabinet is 1/8" sheet metal. Sliding doors are 1/4" cast acrylic. Scroll and medallions are cast iron. Blue and white powder coating.
IMG_0705 (1).jpg

You can do it, Jeff!

Regards

Ours was just counters and sink, the cabinets and backsplash were fine. We lived with poorly finished butcher block counters for 8+ years before finally doing what we should have done much earlier.

If you know it needs to happen do it sooner rather than later so you can enjoy it :grin:

John

Well shoot RJ,
I hope our project moves along faster than yours.
Kitchen looks great though!!

That greenhouse sink proves they don't make them like that anymore.

I would kill for that cook top

If Jeff's projects go like mine have, it may come available to make room for the new cook top that will go better with the new Farm Sink. ;)

Back