Honey, I'd like to replace the sink in the kitchen

@RJSakowski

Beautiful kitchen.
The three corner cabinets look like they rotate to open. Is that correct? Very nice.
The upper cabinet doors are actually ellipses. I had to do tha in order to have equal reveals for the two side walls. It was a n interesting exercise in SolidWorks. The doors were made by gluing wedge shaped pieces much like making a barrel. Because of the elliptical profile, the I kept the wedge angle constant but varied the width of the wedge. All of the drawings were given to the cabinet maker and he made the cabinets to specification.

The corner cabinet to the left in the photo has a lazy susan. The door on it is concave. The cabinet in the right corner is unique in that it abuts the stove on the right wall so the corner space would be dead space or inaccessible space at best. To get around this, I designed a "slide/slide/slide" system. The door is opened and the exposed sleeves are slide out. Then they are slid to the left, exposing a second set of shelves which can be slid out as well. It works slick and amazes visitors. I used double sets of ball bearing full extension slides for the mechanism. Because the slides could not be disassembled for installation, I actually had to crawl inside to install them. That may be why my joints are complaining now.
Kitchen 4.JPGKitchen 2.JPGKitchen 3.JPG

The island is an interesting story. I originally designed a rather simple rectangular island but the wife said she wanted a kidney shaped top so I designed a dumbell shaped cabinet. I handed the construction to the cabinet maker which he agreed to make for $7,000. All of our cabinet facings are solid cherry. In order to fit the curves, the ones that I made were done using 1/8" strips which were laminated in forms. You have to allow for springback but it provides a very stable curve. The cabinet maker decided to build the laminations in place instead. One of the curves delaminated so he decided to remove those laminations and redo them. He used a router to remove them and as he was almost finished, the router bit broke and the router went skating on the bottom shelf, plowing a groove. He took the cabinet up above his barn and ran over it with his Bobcat,. $7K worth of work. When he told me that, I said I would have just put Formica on the marred surface and sold it to some else. I'm glad he didn't as we have a one of a kind. We were very picky about selection of our cabinet maker and in that moment our discrimination was justified..

Sounds like an opportunity to add a deep sink in the shop, you know just in case the kitchen takes longer than expected. ;)

I'm not a plumber. I can't get my body under there.
I hire the pros for this kind of thing.

I'm a plumber and I can tell you farm house sinks are a pita. Zero (none, zip, zilch, nada) access to the faucet after the sink is mounted. DO NOT buy something cheap that wears out in five years. Soap dispensers, instant hot spouts, all of it, no access after sink is in. Beware.

Time out. I am in the middle of harvest,but I would be willing to put a new sink in for just the cost of material . There is no sink that is worth that. If you need help witch I doubt I am more that willing to

I'm a plumber and I can tell you farm house sinks are a pita. Zero (none, zip, zilch, nada) access to the faucet after the sink is mounted. DO NOT buy something cheap that wears out in five years. Soap dispensers, instant hot spouts, all of it, no access after sink is in. Beware.
This sink has a soap dispenser built in. What a pita.
I have to remove the sink today. I don’t know how.......yet.
I agree 100%

Time out. I am in the middle of harvest,but I would be willing to put a new sink in for just the cost of material . There is no sink that is worth that. If you need help witch I doubt I am more that willing to
Steve, best wishes on your harvest. Our sink is part of a kitchen remodel. The budget for new hardware, sink, stone counter tops and back splash is $15k.

There's a really simple solution. Just cut an access opening in the wall behind the sink.:)

Working on sink plumbing is just slightly below working under the dash of the car in the PITA rating.

I forgot how much work this is. Messy too.
Next time some other poor slouch gets to do it While I write a check.

The sing is a Cast iron Kohler. I’m waiting for reinforcements to help lift it out.
My son wants to put it in his Shop.

Attachments

• AD37E97D-C667-4A31-BDC8-7F40F2D0007A.jpeg
    AD37E97D-C667-4A31-BDC8-7F40F2D0007A.jpeg
    880.3 KB · Views: 34
  • B9CA2F8F-499A-46BE-B2B0-5FF96904DFB9.jpeg
    B9CA2F8F-499A-46BE-B2B0-5FF96904DFB9.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 2FF6F74E-E51C-46EE-AFA1-3F38E4380409.jpeg
    2FF6F74E-E51C-46EE-AFA1-3F38E4380409.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 0F47AA56-2AA0-45CC-BBD8-0550BA8998EA.jpeg