Horizontal Bandsaw advice

Christianstark

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Currently looking at the PM-712G saw. Looks like around $1800 to my door. I’d prefer to stay closer to $1K but for a real value I’d step up to the PM.

Anything else I should be looking at? Is geared head just nice to have, or is there compelling benefit over belt drive?

Thanks!

They got rid of the coupons. I bought mine in 2005 and it has been a trouble free work horse.

I had the same question a few weeks ago in the Precision Matthews forum. Nobody could really tell me if the premium over the other saws was worth it. I was willing to spend the coin but ran across a never used Grizzly G0561 for half the price of what it would have taken to get the PM saw to my door.

If the quick change for blade speed is that big a deal, I'll make an auto tensioner for the belt to do a tool less speed change.

I went with the Jet deluxe. They are also made in Taiwan, similar price but they are not the same saw. Different design.
I think they are both great saws.
I don't think you could go wrong with that PM.

This model( G9742) from Grizzly looks like a decent saw and the price is within your budget:

You can often find used ones for far cheaper. But if you prefer new, I don't think you'll find real value in buying any more than what HF offers. You'll end up tweaking whatever you get. I have a Grizzly from the 90's. It was used in a manufacturing environment until they decided it was used up. I have been using it for 6 years. The only new part on it is the blade. I did have to align all the guides. I guess my point is that I'm at least one person who doesn't think it's possible to wear one out. I saw a Kalamazoo bandsaw on FB marketplace for 500 last week. That's alot of tooling, saw blades, steel, or whatever you might want otherwise. Just a thought. I'm sure the PM saw is very nice too, and I have no reason to think you'd regret buying it. I don't know anything about a quick change feature, but even if I had it, I doubt I would ever change the blade until the one that's on it is wasted. I highly doubt I'm alone in that practice.

I think the quick change is in reference to blade speed. Turn it off, move dial, turn it on.

Back