How does the Feeler turret lathe work?

martik777

Active User
Registered
Thinking of buyng one of these for 1k for making small batches.

How does the cross slide work to turn parts to size? There is no crank handle. Looks like just a lever to move to 2 stop positions? How do you make multiple passes? How does the cross slide move horizontally?

I always wanted a hardinge second operation lathe, or a chipmaster with a bed turret and collet chuck

How does the cross slide work to turn parts to size? There is no crank handle. Looks like just a lever to move to 2 stop positions? How do you make multiple passes? How does the cross slide move horizontally?
The turret uses box tooling to turn . The feed is controlled by you pulling the handle in . Each of the turret stations has its own stop . Multiple cuts mean multiple stations being used . The cut off post is operated by hand also . Usually a chamfer tool and cut off tool is used in the slide . I have a nice Hardinge DSM-59 sitting in the garage at the moment waiting on me . They will knock some small work out in a short amount of time after setup .

There are X Z attachments floating around out there but they are pricey .

Nice , aren't they ? :encourage:

Thinking of buyng one of these for 1k for making small batches.

The cross slides cost about 1k but if you want to do super precision works its a must have, looks like a copy of Hardinge dv59 its often cheaper to buy the lathe with a cross slide than buy one without one and buy it sepretly. (my grammar suck)

You can also get box turning tools with roller followers to help eliminate deflection in your parts so you can make deeper cuts in a single pass. Randy is using tools without the roller followers.

You can probably use these tools on a standard engine lathe as well if your batches were fairly small. You would need to swap out the tool on your tool post for each operation and would be slower than a turret lathe, but that was something I was considering for a project I had in mind that is on the back burner for now.

Back