How does the Feeler turret lathe work?

I have looked for a video showing what a turret lathe can do. Sadly I can not find a really good video showing what a really good set up can do. I know a lot of guys have turrets and don’t ever see their potential. Just drilling a part on a turret is so much better than using a tailstock. You can set a depth stop, clear chips with ease , index to another drill , index to a tap with a stop for thread depth, index to a die and thread part OD ,then use a knee tool to chamfer edges, and knurl a dia and use a box tool to rapidly take heavy cuts off dia of stock. Turrets can be great for small production jobs.

I found a video on you tube called W & S #3 lathe work. That shows a turret lathe set up that would work on small lathes like Logan and the like.

I have looked for a video showing what a turret lathe can do. Sadly I can not find a really good video showing what a really good set up can do. I know a lot of guys have turrets and don’t ever see their potential. Just drilling a part on a turret is so much better than using a tailstock. You can set a depth stop, clear chips with ease , index to another drill , index to a tap with a stop for thread depth, index to a die and thread part OD ,then use a knee tool to chamfer edges, and knurl a dia and use a box tool to rapidly take heavy cuts off dia of stock. Turrets can be great for small production jobs.

I found a video on you tube called W & S #3 lathe work. That shows a turret lathe set up that would work on small lathes like Logan and the like.

I have always wanted one for doing repetitive custom fittings for model engineering. I want one with a cross slide and collet closer head.
I could make a ton of these quickly for instance. The threaded section is 1/4 acme thread, the shank 1/8" ans 1/2" thumb screw in 316 stainless.

The fellow whose cnc shop I visited the other day makes something like this for a client. I could compete on this part.

screw.PNG

Pull material out, push in to precise depth, face part, chamfer part. successively drill part, part off and catch part... and then repeat process.

I have always wanted one for doing repetitive custom fittings for model engineering. I want one with a cross slide and collet closer head.
I could make a ton of these quickly for instance. The threaded section is 1/4 acme thread, the shank 1/8" ans 1/2" thumb screw in 316 stainless.

The fellow whose cnc shop I visited the other day makes something like this for a client. I could compete on this part.

View attachment 424204

For my part I'd chuck 1/2" 316 SS bar in a 5C collet.

I'd turn shank down to 1/4" diameter and just shy of final length.

Then turn down portion of shank outbound of threaded portion to 1/8"

Chamfer end of the part. Below showing only the right side of part protruding from chuck

screw 3.PNG

Chamfer start of the threaded section.

Cut thread relief to end of threaded section with V tool.

Then run 1/4" -16 acme die over part or single point the thread and test the thread using a test plug tapped into 1/2" diameter by 3" blank.

screw 2.PNG
Then I'd turn down the shank inbound of the thread to final diameter 1/8" and face the inside face of the thumbwheel.

screw 4.PNG

Now what.? Do the same for all the other blanks.

Then I'd chuck up the test plug aka fixture and then finish the final steps on the parts by threading them into the fixture.

Face to final length dimension.

Chamfer.

Groove.

Knurl.

Unthread part.

Insert another half completed part. Rinse and repeat.

I can set these operations up on second operation lathes with a cross slide.

What I'd love would be chipmaster lathe with the optional turret

So , I think you NEED one . :grin:

I also have a Hardinge DSM59. For small parts they are amazing. I just ran a couple dozen of these. 1/2” od, 10-32 thread, o-ring groove, chamfer, cut off. 15 seconds each without hurrying. Should have done an internal chamfer step before tapping but, I didn’t. I’m still learning the tooling, but that’s the fun part. Setup took an hour or so to get everything right and making good parts. I can’t stress enough how important it is to have a selection of tooling. It seems quite specialized and is pretty pricey Form tools on the cross slide are fantastic. Grinding your own is a must. Knee or box turning tools on the turret handle cylinderical od work. These DV/DSM 59’s and their clones are a great compliment to a proper engine lathe. I have a Hardinge HC too, it is not as versatile as the DSM. Any one looking to part with 5/8” shank tooling drop me a note
cheers
182C91DD-DA96-4D4C-9483-7708C0B46D5B.jpeg

Back