How does the Feeler turret lathe work?

For my part I'd chuck 1/2" 316 SS bar in a 5C collet.

I'd turn shank down to 1/4" diameter and just shy of final length.

Then turn down portion of shank outbound of threaded portion to 1/8"

Chamfer end of the part. Below showing only the right side of part protruding from chuck

View attachment 424208

Chamfer start of the threaded section.

Cut thread relief to end of threaded section with V tool.

Then run 1/4" -16 acme die over part or single point the thread and test the thread using a test plug tapped into 1/2" diameter by 3" blank.

View attachment 424209
Then I'd turn down the shank inbound of the thread to final diameter 1/8" and face the inside face of the thumbwheel.

View attachment 424210

Now what.? Do the same for all the other blanks.

Then I'd chuck up the test plug aka fixture and then finish the final steps on the parts by threading them into the fixture.

Face to final length dimension.

Chamfer.

Groove.

Knurl.

Unthread part.

Insert another half completed part. Rinse and repeat.

I can set these operations up on second operation lathes with a cross slide.

What I'd love would be chipmaster lathe with the optional turret
Doing these on a DSM 59 would be fun. Geometric die head for threading. Only thing left for second op would be facing the cutoff if you wanted it really pretty. A sharp blade on the vertical cutoff leaves a pretty nice finish but not perfect.

Oh yeah ? I could be there next weekend . :grin:

I started running in a Logan production turret lathe in 1953 and thought we made some parts very guickly.

But then a few years later I started to run Traub A25 small automatic lathe and saw what you can do if you have a front and back tool working at the same time and you have two other slides working from the top of of the machine and also have a tailstock all tool running off cams at the same time. The collet is also opened and closed by a cam automatically.

The machine footprint is about the same as a Logan.
It’s cool to see 4 slides and a tailstock all working at the same time.
Check you tube for a video showing a Traub A25 running.

Oh yeah ? I could be there next weekend . :grin:
I see a Hardinge but I'm not sure the model... it comes with compound cross slide and 4 other cross slides, a 3 jaw chuck and a collect closure and collets. $1500 CAD.

Been debating this over the few days since it was listed. Debating it hard. Only issue is the lack of screw cutting limiting me to using dies only.

I can now look at these options since I have 600v

I see a Hardinge but I'm not sure the model... it comes with compound cross slide and 4 other cross slides, a 3 jaw chuck and a collect closure and collets. $1500 CAD.

Been debating this over the few days since it was listed. Debating it hard. Only issue is the lack of screw cutting limiting me to using dies only.

Missing the Hardinge Model L turret tailstock which will run about 900 CAD

Opps. I now know it to be a ESM-59 split bed lathe and I dont think the Model L fits...

Last edited:

I guess that Feeler with loads of tooling for $1,000 is a good deal then?

Back