How hard is putting a VFD on a 3phase 1440 GT ?

the “you could die point” or the. - Kids today only know what they find on “google search”.

LOL.. gotta love an old salt getting tired of book smarts with no experience...

no need to wax poetic for me Clock, I know “lectricty” ... used to install piece parts in the military before I got out and finished my BSEE... I may be one of the only Engineers with humility though... you can’t replace experience with reading / academics.. Not to mention Google & Alexa ! LOL

Clock work, you may have a good point, perhaps you would identify the specific safety issue(s) you are concerned about?
I'm with Winegrower.

I'm not an EE or ME or any other E. I am a construction professional with 35+ years of experience who started at the ground level and now do consulting work. I understand safety more than most and have seen my share of tragic accidents that could have been avoided. That doesn't mean I h never have or ever will again take a risk. Life is a risk with no guarantees. Because something is potentially dangerous doesn't mean I should never try but It doesn't mean I should go about it blindly either. I would rather share my experience and knowledge to help someone understand the risks and the potential pitfalls so they can make an informed decision for themselves than simply shut them down from learning and experiencing something out of their current knowledge base.

Obviously there is a terrible story behind this but honestly my eyes glazed over by the third paragraph. I don't care to read between the lines so please, be specific. We are all here to learn and share.

I can't add much to what I wrote without detracting from the desired effect of keeping yippie tribal newbies (generically expressed.. not specifically expressed) from killing their asses by overdosing on enthusiasm on the wrong things without the requisite saddle time / domain knowledge. Excuse the pretentious terms.. like I said, I do (did) this stuff for a living.

CW

Note to myself on both my training bikes:

Last edited:
So I guess no specifics come to mind, huh?

:anyone: I’m still trying to figure out what’s going on???
I just bought a vfd To hook up a machine I saw this guy using on YouTube to make these cool motorcycle parts. Motorcycles are cool I like them ever since watching chips as a kid.:beer bottles:

Not being an electrical engineer, electrician or a machinist, I purchased a three phase 1440 GT last year from Matt and thought I was way over my head, Mark Jacobs (MKSJ) walked me through the process and provided excellent notes and step by step procedure for making the switch. Against his better judgment, Mark agreed to design a replacement Control Board, Switches, Proximity Stop, Bi-directional jog and Tach. I learned to program the Hitachi VFD and learned the difference between NC and NO on switches among other things. It was an enjoyable learning experience for a novice and the results is a great lathe and fun to use.

My advice is go slow, think through what you are doing and don' t be shy in asking questions from Mark or other knowledgeable sources on this site if not sure of what you are doing.

Maybe I am all wet, but best I can tell is clockwork is saying you shouldn’t attempt anything unless you are a highly experienced expert. This appears to be a possible jab toward Mark Jacobs who, as an enthusiast, has developed a very nice control board for these lathes and will patiently walk you through step-by-step until you achieve success. He will also help someone build their own.

I think there is a conflict between a couple different viewpoints here. One view assumes that it takes years of experience to gain proficiency at a task. People holding to this viewpoint invariably prioritize experience above all else.

The other view is that a person with a systematic deliberate approach will gain more and greater proficiency than the person who has learned solely by experience. I lean more toward this view because I have seen in play out repeatedly over my nearly six decades. I saw it when I was a USAF pilot, I see it as a competition shooter, and I see it as a trumpet player.

Now it is sometimes disheartening when we find someone with less experience has exceeded us, but a deeper analysis shows the two viewpoints I presented as conflicting aren’t really in conflict. The key to success is engaging in a lot of “deliberate practice”. Chances are the amount of deliberate practice between the highly proficient new guy a highly experienced old guy is similar. The reason the 29 year old kid half my age—from whom I take lessons—is a better trumpet player than I am is because he has more deliberate practice on the horn. Even though we have about the same number of calendar years on the horn, he has much more deliberate practice time under his belt.

When it comes to non electricians and wiring in a lathe VFD, there is a clear parallel. Mark’s previous occupation required a very disciplined and deliberate approach. He took that same approach to lathe VFDs and has developed a high level of skill and expertise as an enthusiast. Then of course, there is that final criterion that an INTJ prioritizes above all the theory and everything else. What Mark does WORKS..........

Last edited:
TLDFR
Take a look on YouTube at VFD videos by Clough42. He does a great job of clearing up many of the technical details.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back