How hard is putting a VFD on a 3phase 1440 GT ?

Tesla was not born with a BSEE, nor was he born an electrician
if he had not experimented with electricity, our collective understanding of the subject would have taken another path, not for the better.
i seriously doubt his lack of understanding prevented him from learning from mistakes he undoubtedly made, in fact they made him wiser.

This...

OK, I haven't visited in a couple of days, but who pee'd in who's Cheerios? ;)

A bit tongue in cheek - but the short answer....

Clockwork got caught in a Electrocution and Die Warning label mode about newb’s not doing thier research or hiring a proffesional...
Kind of like reading all the 1,000+ warning labels in the VFD manual... that is if it were on a skipping record.

The guys who did VFD’s and aren’t buying that they are dead, so they somewhat objected to the “you will surely die” principle.

:O

Last edited:
I typed up a snappy comeback to the manifesto, but hesitated to send it, a sure sign that doing so would be a bad idea. Somehow, most of us seem to get by just fine by simply being careful.

I typed up a snappy comeback to the manifesto, but hesitated to send it, a sure sign that doing so would be a bad idea. Somehow, most of us seem to get by just fine by simply being careful.

Yea, I have to be careful with my responses to some things. A while back a gentleman told me that he knew more than I because he'd been doing something for (insert large number here) years. When I replied with a comment that while he'd been doing something for X number of years, that didn't mean he'd been doing it correctly all that time. The sparks started flying shortly after that. ;)

Some people learn things easily, some don't. And some never learn much of anything beyond the basics. It's all good. :)

Is that like working at a job for 20 years and having 6 months experience 40 times over.

Greg

I've had no ability during my time here to ascertain the quality of the environment from which input on machinist matters flow here, given I'm stupid low hours and training. I'm deep left on that particularly Gaussian. But fortunately for me not on all of them, and this was enlightening. I regret choosing to participate in this question given the dominant level of decision quality this subject has attracted, and to serve as a foil to from-the-hip platitudes that might sound compelling to subsequent zero-hours/training new guys clicking around and wondering. No desire to further contribute as that foil and in turn establish more vulnerable things/beliefs.

I might quite gently suggest understanding all the words and any uncommon-to-you concepts they were assembled to convey before mapping it in to one's limited experience and training and deciding real-time you're "good enough". But DEAR GOD... the lack of immediately produced death is simply not how people who think for a living judge decision result quality. I swear and support this by invoking the obvious analog that emerging research seems to indicate that wearing lemon juice on your face could be less effective than some hold.

Above all, I'm very sure this place in stocked with mostly nice guys. The enlightening encounter is simultaneously depressing because of that. It's clearly time to move my own quest to learn more rigorously elsewhere. Too old to learn anything new as well as I'd wish to anyway. My apologies for distracting "what is done here" here and for failing to lift the decision quality even slightly on an important matter, which ironically is likely the only thing I could ever speak to as an actual very-high-hours practitioner and scholar. Do have fun.

CW, out

Did you finish the VFD install on your lathe? I am trying to read through as many threads as I can in designing a conversion for my used 1440 3phase lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@mkbuildit
I am trying to read through as many threads as I can in designing a conversion for my used 1440 3phase lathe

Did you come across the 1440GT conversion? See the attachment "PM1440GT Part 2 VFDDescription..." plus the photos etc.

VFD conversion using solid state electronic components.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please let me know at that thread. Thanks.

Dave L.

Or maybe died trying?

This is not in as bad taste as it might seem if you’ve followed the whole thread.
Yes, of all of the VFD threads, this one takes the cake for hammering home the dangers of not fully understanding the consequences of a decision. Point well taken!

Back