How hard is putting a VFD on a 3phase 1440 GT ?

I just checked those out - Clough42 is extremely good at that... Thanks !

The way he explains the latching power button is really done well, and it’s also in the Hitachi VFD manual...

My apologies..

cw
Not helpful. Really.

Spotshooter, please fell free to ask any questions about your conversion. I believe I still have some wiring diagrams I did to help me keep things straight. Not necessarily how you will put things together but might give you some ideas. Full suite of bubble wrap and crash helmet not required.

knowledge can be a burden.
if you carry too much knowledge, you soon think that nobody else has any.

we inherently learn things by screwing it all up.
[if you are afraid to make mistakes, sit on your hands and let life pass you by]- that is BS

if you are doing things right, you are constantly evolving and learning, regardless of what you think you know.
making mistakes is a part of human existence.

i have seen countless examples through my whole life of seemingly highly educated professionals screwing up and costing peoples lives, money and property.
if you ask the professional that screwed up, he tries to baffle you with a BS explanation and blame everyone but himself for the disaster.

if you are so inclined to travel a path,
let no dragon in your mind or any man stand in your way.
you have the power to achieve any end you set.

the difference between fail and succeed is commitment.

Maybe I am all wet, but best I can tell is clockwork is saying you shouldn’t attempt anything unless you are a highly experienced expert. This appears to be a possible jab toward Mark Jacobs who, as an enthusiast, has developed a very nice control board for these lathes and will patiently walk you through step-by-step until you achieve success. He will also help someone build their own.

I think there is a conflict between a couple different viewpoints here. One view assumes that it takes years of experience to gain proficiency at a task. People holding to this viewpoint invariably prioritize experience above all else.

The other view is that a person with a systematic deliberate approach will gain more and greater proficiency than the person who has learned solely by experience. I lean more toward this view because I have seen in play out repeatedly over my nearly six decades. I saw it when I was a USAF pilot, I see it as a competition shooter, and I see it as a trumpet player.

Now it is sometimes disheartening when we find someone with less experience has exceeded us, but a deeper analysis shows the two viewpoints I presented as conflicting aren’t really in conflict. The key to success is engaging in a lot of “deliberate practice”. Chances are the amount of deliberate practice between the highly proficient new guy a highly experienced old guy is similar. The reason the 29 year old kid half my age—from whom I take lessons—is a better trumpet player than I am is because he has more deliberate practice on the horn. Even though we have about the same number of calendar years on the horn, he has much more deliberate practice time under his belt.

When it comes to non electricians and wiring in a lathe VFD, there is a clear parallel. Mark’s previous occupation required a very disciplined and deliberate approach. He took that same approach to lathe VFDs and has developed a high level of skill and expertise as an enthusiast. Then of course, there is that final criterion that an INTJ prioritizes above all the theory and everything else. What Mark does WORKS..........

First... .ZERO... Read that with the utmost of clarity... ZERO jabs at anyone and my (this time, sincere) apologies if anything was taken at jabbing at Mark. I know nothing about his work.

Again... zero intent to insult any individual at all. To insult the tribal approach and the wired-in cognitive faults of most... all day. How can I make it more intentional? But above all.. I dig people being safe from the things they don't/can't understand.

Last edited:
Not helpful. Really.

I really provided all the specifics anyone at the tribal level needs. I'm not going to replace decades of diverse hands on experience and training and turn some guy with none of it into someone who should be forging ahead screwing with things he doesn't understand. I might help kill him by encouraging him to just do it cuz here are the 14 things you need to worry about. You have NO use for specifics. And I'm not going to provide a finite list of things not to do with an associated implication you're all set if you don't do those 14 things under the umbrella of the carefully crafted terms/conditions or business insurance that make me willing to take the risk of providing my thoughts and risking my wealth for unknown-quantity people, let alone known-quantity people. With respect... You... some guy on the internet... ONLY need to know you can die and for a 1000 reasons you won't even know existed as you or a loved one starts to smoke. If you think the internet is where you get the answer, you're not doing yourself any favors. Believe me... don't believe me. I did my job.

All knowledge is effectively tribal. Best practices come from experience and accidents. Sometimes they get codified, sometimes not.

Regardless, simply asserting that anyone who touches something electrical is going to die unless they have a contractor's license or a BSEE is not useful.

These conversions do take some amount of time, and you need familiarize yourself with the relevant standards. A big part of that is learning enough to recognize when you haven't learned enough. If you see something wrong, by all means point it out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

When i get the lathe, and the VFD in hand I could very well have questions -
I appreciate the offers and schematics (sharing actionable knowledge) from Mark, Jay and some other gent’s .. I may take you guys up on it.

I’ver Still got some reading to finish up before I get to questions.

Tesla was not born with a BSEE, nor was he born an electrician
if he had not experimented with electricity, our collective understanding of the subject would have taken another path, not for the better.
i seriously doubt his lack of understanding prevented him from learning from mistakes he undoubtedly made, in fact they made him wiser.

Back