How is an automatic oiler supposed to work?

strantor

Active User
Registered
I have a CNC mill I'm in the middle of refurbishing. It has an old Bijur TM-5 oiler with an electric motor and a level switch. There's some cryptic mention of cycle time (27.7 min) in the datasheet for it. Am I just supposed to apply power to it any time the machine is powered on? Or during a cut? What's the normal mode of operation? When I received the machine it had this oiler, and the coolant pump, and a few other things disconnected.

An oiler for the machine itself should be running every time the machine is on.

I just clicked on your attachment. Looks like its a little hydraulic gear pump. It will lube every time the solenoid cycles which you set. Definitely get this working asap.
Cheers
Martin

Last edited:
Not that the instructions of a Tormach CNC mill match every other mill for lubrication, but Tormach mills are stock with a manual way oiler. Tormach recommends pulling the oiler handle every time the mill is used. Also pull once for every 4 hours of use.

Bruce

Probably a good idea to go through the entire system, and make sure all lines are in good shape, and no orifices are plugged. Mike
Plugged orifices on a Bijur? You don't say... :grin:

-=- Search Results here on H-M -=-

Basically when the oiler has power to it, it will administer 1 shot of oil in that time interval. You can't change the timer, but you can change the amount of the shot. It should be wired up so it is energized only when the servo motors are.

Probably a good idea to go through the entire system, and make sure all lines are in good shape, and no orifices are plugged. Mike
I am replacing every metering unit on the machine and installing all new hoses and tubing as well. New filters in the oilers, cleaning out the pump pistons, everything except the compression nuts, junctions, and the pumps themselves are going to be new.

I am replacing every metering unit on the machine and installing all new hoses and tubing as well. New filters in the oilers, cleaning out the pump pistons, everything except the compression nuts, junctions, and the pumps themselves are going to be new.
Did you find a good source for the metering units?

Plugged orifices on a Bijur? You don't say... :grin:
Can they even really be called an orifices? "Orifice" implies something you can clean up. A simple tiny hole one might pass an acetylene torch tip cleaner through. But this ain't that. I don't know what it is but it's some kind of science. In the absence of a microscope, it looks to me like the metering units might be packed with some sintered material like a pneumatic muffler is made of? I don't know. But just because I can spray brake cleaner through them does not give me a warm fuzzy that I've "cleaned" them. I feel it's safer to replace.

Back