How long to make this part?

martik777

Active User
Registered
How much time would you need to make this on a manual lathe and mill? Qty of 20
Material 416MX 1/2" round

The .317-.322 hole will need to be bored and a radius machined inside bottom.
I'm not sure what the .9 means on the left drawing view.

part913.png

Last edited:
How much time would you need to make this? Qty of 20
Material 416MX 1/2" round

The .317-.322 hole will need to be bored and a radius machined inside bottom.
I'm not sure what the .9 means on the left drawing view.

It's not .9, it's 6° (six degrees) included angle of the taper. Turn the drawing over.

How long machining would take depends heavily on the types of equipment/tooling available.
You might want to be more specific about the intended manufacturing environment.

That's a max radius call out so technically that can be a perfectly square bottom.

But typically just choose an insert with a nose radius smaller than the max.

Agree on previous response. This will vary wildly depending on a lot of things.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

On a cnc lathe , 10 minutes MAX . Drill and tap from one side , flip , machine c bore and turn angle. Throw in an indexing head and drill and tap 10-32s while cnc is running .

Yeah its hard to say how long to machine, it depends on your equipment, tooling and skill/experience level. Most of the tolerances seem pretty generous so that's in your favor. If I was figuring this for my shop, I'd allow about 12 hrs all in.

That's a weird way to draw the 10-32 holes- they go all the way thru correct? Wouldn't it be 2 places not 4? My mechanical drawing skill is a bit rusty
Couldn't have picked a more awkward hole size for the small end- have to bore it

Last edited:
That's a weird way to draw the 10-32 holes- they go all the way thru correct? Wouldn't it be 2 places not 4? My mechanical drawing skill is a bit rusty

I would say that because the tapped holes are truncated by the center bore, it makes them QTY 4. If you want to drill and tap 2 holes and then cut the bore to save time, that's your choice, but the part ends up with 4 tapped holes either way.

I'd want to know what the tolerance on the 6 degree taper is. Hopefully not too tight.

I'd start with ground stock and use a 5C chuck on a draw tube. With ground stock (bit extra $ up front) you can save quite a bit of time on tuning the OD and holding concentricity after flipping the parts.

I'd the M10 thread first on all the parts, rough in the thru bore (97% of desired diameter), and cutoff

Then to the mill on a rotary or another fixture to hold the part horizontal to drill and tap the holes.

Finally, I'd install a depth stop in the lathe collet and finish all the tapers and finish the thru bore with a reamer. If you are careful, you can use the reamer to deburr the insider of the tapped holes. I would think you could have the compound set such that the taper could be cut and finished in a single pass with a sharp tool.

If I had to make more than 20, I might consider a custom piloted spade drill that could finish the narrow end bore to tolerance, deburr the tapped holes, and clean up the parted face in one operation.

Nice layout. Clear, concise, with a nice margin on min/max. I'm thinking the first couple might take you an hour or more. Once you get the hang of it, maybe 35 minutes. But I would still estimate on the high side of 1 hr per. You can use a collet, and feed bar stock in, that way you get a handle on it.

Back