How long to make this part?

If I were given this project, I'd pull the design into Fusion 360 and link the model to Xometry and see what they charge.
How much time would you need to make this on a manual lathe and mill? Qty of 20
Material 416MX 1/2" round

The .317-.322 hole will need to be bored and a radius machined inside bottom.
I'm not sure what the .9 means on the left drawing view
Just for grins, I put your design into Fusion360, then sent it to Xometry to quote in 416 quantity 20. Here's what I got:

screenshot_5889.jpg

I would say that because the tapped holes are truncated by the center bore, it makes them QTY 4. If you want to drill and tap 2 holes and then cut the bore to save time, that's your choice, but the part ends up with 4 tapped holes either way.
Wouldn't you tap thru both holes at the same time? Making it 2

On a cnc lathe , 10 minutes MAX . Drill and tap from one side , flip , machine c bore and turn angle. Throw in an indexing head and drill and tap 10-32s while cnc is running .
I don't know much about CNC ,but you say 10 min max. would that include inputting all the coding?

I figure 10-15 min each.

Lathe:
Drill and tap M10 - 1.5 mins
Flip
Drill 1/4" thru .5 min
Drill 8mm (.314) .5 min
Bore out to 317-322 1 min
Cut radius .031 .5 min
Cut taper with compound 1 min

MILL:
Drill and tap 10-32 5 mins

Total 10 mins

Wouldn't you tap thru both holes at the same time? Making it 2
It doesn’t matter how you actually do it, the drawing shows 4 holes, so it must be noted that way so that it is clear that each one is that size. If it said TYP 2 holes, then you would not know which two holes they are referencing since there are 2 each side.

I figure 10-15 min each.

Lathe:
Drill and tap M10 - 1.5 mins
Flip
Drill 1/4" thru .5 min
Drill 8mm (.314) .5 min
Bore out to 317-322 1 min
Cut radius .031 .5 min
Cut taper with compound 1 min

MILL:
Drill and tap 10-32 5 mins

Total 10 mins
The bore tolerance is 0.246 to 0.249, how are you going to meet that tolerance using a 1/4” drill? Unless you are just using that as a general description and would use a D drill for that hole.

As someone mentioned earlier, the radius dimension says max 0.031, since you had to bore out the end already, why would you do a separate step for the radius when you can use any insert up to 0.031 diameter nose radius in your boring bar?

You don’t have facing operations on there. Will you be parting off each piece from bar stock, or saw cutting each one? Does your times above include setup time for each operation?

15 minutes sounds optimistic to me - especially considering the need for parting and facing. If I were doing this, I'd budget 10 hours total for the 20 pieces.

Back