How long to make this part?

15 minutes each on manual machines is well within reason. Figure 1 hour for set up of both machines.

5 hrs labor
1 hr setup
Material cost.
If you do not have in stock
10mm taps plug and bottom
10-32 tap
.248 reamer

How fast do they need it? The faster the better premium you can charge.

No back log of jobs. I would go.

3-5 day delivery. For regular time.

Expedited I would go 2 days 30% up charge. If doing this you better have Everything in stock.

Cutting oil is my blood.

What is 416MX? I’ve never heard of that before and can’t find any specs on it.

I haven’t seen anyone including time to turn the OD to size, the only undersize 416 McMaster carries is metric sizes, is it even available as undersize imperial stock? The upper limit on OD is 0.500 and standard stock has a plus/minus nominal tolerance that could put it oversize requiring the OD be turned to stay in spec.

What is 416MX? I’ve never heard of that before and can’t find any specs on it.

I haven’t seen anyone including time to turn the OD to size, the only undersize 416 McMaster carries is metric sizes, is it even available as undersize imperial stock? The upper limit on OD is 0.500 and standard stock has a plus/minus nominal tolerance that could put it oversize requiring the OD be turned to stay in spec.

I believe it is just your run of the mill 416 SS. You can get it 1/2” dia +/- .003. So a simple .005 cleanup pass at .004 feed rate will take 30 seconds or so.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Made a sample with some scrap and little shorter, took about 9 mins:

Drill tap M10 1min
Drill 1/4 thru .5
Part and flip/debur .5
Drill 5/6 and bore to .317 2 mins
Cut taper 1.5 mins

Drill and tap 10-32 3 mins

Took ~20 mins to setup all the chucks, boring tool and mill and holding wedge for the taper
10-32 threads look crappy but are good. debur ideas?

Attachments

• partxx.jpg
    partxx.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 14
  • partxx2.jpg
    partxx2.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 13
  • partxx3.jpg
    partxx3.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
15 minutes each on manual machines is well within reason. Figure 1 hour for set up of both machines.

5 hrs labor
1 hr setup
Material cost.
If you do not have in stock
10mm taps plug and bottom
10-32 tap
.248 reamer

How fast do they need it? The faster the better premium you can charge.

No back log of jobs. I would go.

3-5 day delivery. For regular time.

Expedited I would go 2 days 30% up charge. If doing this you better have Everything in stock.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Material is and any tooling needed is supplied. Haven't heard back if a 1/4drill is ok, they're pretty liberal with tolerances
No spec for thread depth so may not need a bottom tap.

I'm retired so this is mostly to keep me occupied and slow down mental deterioration lol

I quoted them $25 each

Material is and any tooling needed is supplied. Haven't heard back if a 1/4drill is ok, they're pretty liberal with tolerances

I'm retired so this is mostly to keep me occupied and slow down mental deterioration lol

I quoted them $25 each

There you go. $25 is very good pricing for a home job. 9 minutes is pretty good pace for sure. $150 an hour. Can’t beat that.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I quoted them $25 each
You should enlist with Xometry as a supplier. I'd send you some business at those rates. :)

You could pop them out quite quickly with a Hardinge turret lathe also . The angle would need another operation but still a quick job .

I see you made one/some already . Looking good ! How many thousand does the customer need ? ;)

Back