How To Make Your Own Bronze Bushing

I earlier said aluminum bronze. But in looking at your resent pic and reviewing your resent post. I’m pretty sure you have an Oilite bushing. That finish on the lip/flange of the OD looks just like Oilite. Oilite bushing stock is easily found. Post a drawing of the size of bushing(s) you need. I’m sure you will find a volunteer to make one for you, including me…Dave.

Thank you David for the offer and I may take you up on your offer.But first I am going to give it a try to see if its something that I can make and hold close tolerance.But I also need to I guess purchase a reamer and couple other things that I will need or think I need.My first step is to get the drill rod 9/16/.562 OD and is the 660 bronze is that the oil type?I wanted to get the material order from Online Metals or whoever that will have it and just go from there

Thank you David for the offer and I may take you up on your offer.But first I am going to give it a try to see if its something that I can make and hold close tolerance.But I also need to I guess purchase a reamer and couple other things that I will need or think I need.My first step is to get the drill rod 9/16/.562 OD and is the 660 bronze is that the oil type?I wanted to get the material order from Online Metals or whoever that will have it and just go from there
No, 660 is not the same. It looks like Online Metals has it as SAE841

Kroll,
I used to work for a electric motor repair facility years ago. We used to have a lot of motors come in with bearing surfaces that we're all worn out and had to be sleeved. It was nothing to make a sleeve 8" od X 7" id. We would use the formula of .0005" per inch of diameter. We would put the sleeve in the freezer for several hours at least. When we were ready to install it we would heat the part to 325° max, remove the sleeve from the freezer and VERY quickly install it in the housing. When everything was at room temperature, again measure the sleeve. You may need to take a real light skin cut to get the necessary size you want.

I live in Alvin, which is just down the road from you. You're welcome to come down and see my shop any time you like.

Barry

Thank you Barry,I may just take you up on your offer.That is some good info,another poster here was saying the same thing.I haven't order my material yet but will in the next couple of days.When it cools off here as you know its a humidity thing I am going to take off a week and work on my lathe.So I may be sending you a PM in a month or so.

Sounds good to me. I've got a 12" Craftsman lathe. I added to the bed so it's 6' long. Also did some trading and ended up with a 13" Frejoth lathe. Several other "toys" too.

Rick,that is what I am kinda confuse about.The old shaft measures .557 which it will slide in/out easy but does not wiggle around.Both ends of the shaft looks good that fits into the casting is where I took my measurments.But the bore in the casting measure .562. I read another post were the poster had stated that each time he uses drill rod that it was always to snug or couple thou to big and it was a pain to try and take off couple thou.Any thoughts???

Last edited:
Back