How to meg a 110/220 single phase AC motor

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have an old Marathon single phase dual shaft and dual voltage motor, currently it is set up for 110 volts. My issue is that ALL the leads to the coils are beyond reusing. Insulation crumbled and the only thing I know to do is replace all of them. I would like to meg the windings before going to the trouble to repair it. The motor was running when I took it apart. I have my own megger and have used it on 3 phase motors. Also, during the replacement of the leads, I would like any information on what wire to use and a possible source for it and the hi temp insulation sleeves. Thanks in advance.

I have an old Marathon single phase dual shaft and dual voltage motor, currently it is set up for 110 volts. My issue is that ALL the leads to the coils are beyond reusing. Insulation crumbled and the only thing I know to do is replace all of them. I would like to meg the windings before going to the trouble to repair it. The motor was running when I took it apart. I have my own megger and have used it on 3 phase motors. Also, during the replacement of the leads, I would like any information on what wire to use and a possible source for it and the hi temp insulation sleeves. Thanks in advance.

I've never used a megger but I see there are several youtube videos which show how to use it to test insulation integrity
I presume you would want to disconnect the starting capacitor before testing the windings
Fiberglass insulated wire is available but is costly. I doubt you would need that level of heat resistance. Heating appliances mainly use it.
Personally I would just use pvc covered wire and perhaps slip some fiberglass or plastic tubing over the splices (available on Amazon)
For a professional looking job you could invest in a heat gun and some heat shrink tubing (Harbor Freight has both)
For just a few splices you can use a small propane or butane torch to shrink it if you are careful
I've even used a cigarette lighter in a pinch :)

Last edited:
Hello,
Before you do anything ,you might want to get some heat shrink tubing .color coded,. To slip over existing wires,
Use a ohm meter to check for cross wiring, ,shorts, etc .
Wire ties also come in handy to lay the wires down ,strain relief. Etc.
A Megger might relieve a shorted winding but there isn't much between wires in a coil?.?

Anyways thought I put my two cents in.

An appliance repair shop might have special wire, or a electric motor repair shop is your best bet........

I've never used a megger but I see there are several youtube videos which show how to use it to test insulation integrity
I presume you would want to disconnect the starting capacitor before testing the windings
Fiberglass insulated wire is available but is costly. I doubt you would need that level of heat resistance. Heating appliances mainly use it.
Personally I would just use pvc covered wire and perhaps slip some fiberglass or plastic tubing over the splices (available on Amazon)
For a professional looking job you could invest in a heat gun and some heat shrink tubing (Harbor Freight has both)
For just a few splices you can use a small propane or butane torch to shrink it if you are careful
I've even used a cigarette lighter in a pinch :)
Thanks Mark I do have a meggar and know how to Meg 3 phase. I'm guessing the same will apply to single phase windings. Just thot I would search and see if anyone has done it on here. When doing electrical I try to keep caution in front. I will try the PVC wire and shrink tube. I've bought a selection of colored tube for this job. It is one of those cold winter day jobs to keep me from going insane while couped up in the house. When and IF I get it running, I will try to take some still pictures on the way and post for future reference for anyone who wants to do the same.

Hello,
Before you do anything ,you might want to get some heat shrink tubing .color coded,. To slip over existing wires,
A Megger might relieve a shorted winding but there isn't much between wires in a coil?.?

An appliance repair shop might have special wire, or a electric motor repair shop is your best bet........
Hello,

luap : could you please explain what you mean in "relieve" (A Megger might "relieve" a shorted winding but there isn't much between wires in a coil?)

Two suggestions; Be careful about megging the capacitor. When I used a megger in the past, I usually used a higher voltage than the motor was rated for, but would not do that to a capacitor. Second; decide what value you will accept as OK before you make the test.

Two suggestions; Be careful about megging the capacitor. When I used a megger in the past, I usually used a higher voltage than the motor was rated for, but would not do that to a capacitor. Second; decide what value you will accept as OK before you make the test.
I have already removed the capacitor so it will not be meggered. The megger I have is the type with red, yellow and green LED's. It ranges from 0 to 1,000 if I remember correctly. Thanks for your reply

Last edited:
Back