How to mill a V in the center of something?

Agreed, the setup will try to shift
I would tilt the head as mentioned

You don't say whether you are looking for a particular width or depth of vee groove. But, set the corner of the end mill on the scribe line and zero out x and z. Cut the same amount in x and z and the groove will be centered on the scribe line.

You don't say whether you are looking for a particular width or depth of vee groove. But, set the corner of the end mill on the scribe line and zero out x and z. Cut the same amount in x and z and the groove will be centered on the scribe line.
I didn’t say because I’m not sure what size I want. This is a pretty good no nonsense way.

Oscar Had A Heap Of Apples - Sine= Opposite over Hypotenuse, Cosine = Adjacent over Hypotenuse, Tangent = Opposite over Adjacent.

I would use my VEE milling bit.
I couldn’t find one other than a 90* chamfer bit. I read about double angle cutters which could work with an angle plate or horizontal mill. I has also read that vee cutters aren’t very efficient because the tip is basically running 0 SFPM

Oscar Had A Heap Of Apples - Sine= Opposite over Hypotenuse, Cosine = Adjacent over Hypotenuse, Tangent = Opposite over Adjacent.
I've never seen a particularly good mnemonic for this...and yours hasn't changed that! :grin::p

That said, I reckon it's better than the ones my maths teachers at school tried to teach us and the fact that I can't remember any of those mnemonics is an indication of their quality.

To be fair, maths teaching in state schools in England in the 70s and 80s was in a pretty parlous state and the one maths teacher who's name I can recall, I only remember because he was a raging alcoholic who crashed his car into the deputy headmaster's car in the school car park at lunchtime after a visit to the local pub. :grin:

He was sacked but only because during the 'frank exchange of views' between him and the deputy head in the car park, he called the deputy head's wife "a fat whore" (said wife, who was the school nurse, had seen the crash happen and alerted the deputy head; and yes, she was a fine figure of a woman...I may have had a bit of a schoolboy crush on her).

Schools were so short of maths teachers back then, a man who would drive drunk and slur his way through a maths lesson was considered perfectly employable. :grin:

Last edited:
That's the method that makes the most sense to me. In this Lyle Petrson (MrPete222) video, jump to 13:20...

Back