How to mill a V in the center of something?

@Gnpenning Alight mate, I've always liked the fuller figure, sue me. :oops::big grin:

But seriously though, ask any English person who experienced state education in the 70s or 80s about it.

If they were lucky enough to attend a nice primary school, situated in a posh neighbourhood and then went on to one of the good state grammar schools (a higher tier of state secondary education, separate from the standard 'comprehensive' secondary schools), they may not agree, but the rest will nod and chuckle ruefully. ;)

Frankly, looking back, I'm amazed that any of my cohort can tell the time, never mind anything else! :grin:

@SouthernChap you might have missed my reaction. It had everything to do with the drunk in the parking lot.

I'm good with you loving the full figures. I know I won't be standing in line behind you . Less competition for both.

Been a while since I've been in England, and for some reason not many here in NW Montana so I'll take your word for it.

@SouthernChap you might have missed my reaction. It had everything to do with the drunk in the parking lot.

I'm good with you loving the full figures. I know I won't be standing in line behind you . Less competition for both.

Been a while since I've been in England, and for some reason not many here in NW Montana so I'll take your word for it.
Nah, I got that but I figured that pretending to think you'd been shocked by my aesthetic tastes was funnier :big grin:;) (thus the "Seriously though" bit).

BTW, by 'fuller figure', I am talking 'pear shaped, sturdy, English farmer's wife' type figure, not Jabba The Hut! :grin:

(and just to clarify to anybody else reading this post: women who are shaped like the aforementioned Star Wars character are entirely worthy human beings with feelings that should be cared about and are not necessarily defined by their body shapes; they just don't float my boat :))

Well the fixture was sturdy enough for the cuts I made. I ended up feeding even amounts of x and z. Most cuts were .020 on each axis. I made a accurate ish center line off of measurements and lined it up to eye. It was close enough for me. I’ve added some different size pin holes in the v. I just need to add some on flat.

I don’t know how much a bench block is used, I just had a chunk of round cast and felt like making something.

I’ll try to remember to share a picture later. Thanks for the advice everyone!

The bench block I have is tool steel and hard as, well tool steel. I’m not sure it needs to be tool steel. I found out when I tried to drill it to put some more useful holes in it more towards the edge.

The main thing I’ve used it for was driving roll pins out of shafts and driving them back in where they needed to stick out. Very handy. And much better than a vise.

After more thinking I think I should set it 5/8” lower for my setup?
Nope! Come down 5/16" from the center line which will require you to come out 5/16" to initially touch off. Then feed back and forth until you have gone "IN" 5/8". The V should be centered. You had it right the first time.

Here’s the finished product and what it started as. I didn’t face down far enough to clean up the top completely but I figure I’ll cold blue it anyway and it will hide it.

Attachments

• IMG_3095.jpeg
    IMG_3095.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3094.jpeg
    IMG_3094.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 16
Got it blued. I ended up hot bluing using ammonium nitrate as that’s what I had on hand. It took about 1.10 hours simmering but looks pretty good. I wish it was a dark as the picture makes it look. It’s slightly lighter in person but it’s nice and even. I wish I had fully cleaned up the top though as it caused it to be slightly blotchy on the top. It’s a working tool though so I’m not worried. IMG_3107.jpeg

Got it blued. I ended up hot bluing using ammonium nitrate as that’s what I had on hand. It took about 1.10 hours simmering but looks pretty good. I wish it was a dark as the picture makes it look. It’s slightly lighter in person but it’s nice and even. I wish I had fully cleaned up the top though as it caused it to be slightly blotchy on the top. It’s a working tool though so I’m not worried. View attachment 487245
nice, it looks like my hockey puck bench block..

Back