How to thread stainless

Some folks have suggested other types of stainless. I've been making parts from 416 stainless recently and
I find it machines very nicely with a good surface finish I have no experience threading it. Without knowing your application
I can't say if it's suitable, but it's worth considering.

i thread occasionally in ss usually 304 or 316 didn't know it was a problem. i'm using flood coolant maybe that is why?

I do a lot of threading and turning of stainless but cannot remember what grade other than when I purchase I go for the cheapest of the two grades the supplier carries.
I use only HSS tools honed sharp and never found a problem.

Maybe it is me then? My problem is the threads are not clean. They end up looking like I’m cutting in different places. They have sharp burs hanging off. It just seams to tear not cut. It was a 5/8 tool blank with 8% cobalt ground to a 60 deg angle.

I've cut and single point threaded a LOT of austenitic stainless steel over the years but would still defer to John, Mark and David given their production experience. I did want to add a few things, though.

My sense is that you're a novice hobby machinist. No offense, just trying to get a feel for your level of experience. The reason I raise this is because while stainless is not that difficult to work with (it isn't all that hard), it does require you to know how to cut it and experience counts. Every lathe is different, even lathes of the same model, and every user is different. The feeds and speeds listed in tables and charts are intended for industrial lathes and may or may not apply to YOUR lathe.

You also need to know what you're cutting. 303 has sulfur in it so it machines easier and work hardens less. 304 is much harder to cut without work hardening and this is especially true with carbide inserts; 316 is even worse. Work hardening happens with SS because unlike most materials that eject the heat from a cutting operation in the chip, SS tends to retain the heat in the remaining material AND the tool. Temperatures at the point of cut can get into the red heat range on a heavy roughing cut, especially with carbide tools, so work hardening is a real thing. If you can, use 303.

The keys to turning SS is to use a sharp tool, coolant and you must keep the tool cutting - do not dwell or the tool will rub and build heat and you'll work harden in an instant in 304/316; feeds matter, especially with SS. The aforementioned CCMT and CCGT inserts will work and David will set you straight on inserts but I would reinforce that you need a positive rake insert on a small lathe when working SS. With that said, I much prefer a good HSS-cobalt tool for stainless steel because I can get it sharper than any carbide insert and I can grind it to reduce cutting forces so that the tool cuts easier without building a lot of heat. While I normally would turn SS on my Emco lathe, I have cut a lot of 303 and 304 on a little Sherline lathe with HSS tools so I know that these tools work. Cobalt will also hold an edge at high temps so the tools stay sharp longer, even with heavy cuts. The problem is that you have to know how to grind these tools.

Coolant matters, especially when using inserts. For me anyway, coolant is used to reduce temperatures at the point of cut as well as for providing lubricity so use some kind of cutting oil or coolant. Sulfur-bearing oils with EP additives work well, as does the water-based AnchorLube. A coolant stream is ideal but dripping coolant or cutting oil at the point of cut works well enough. Regardless of which way to go, use a LOT to try and keep temps down.

For threading, I own the aforementioned Carmex inserts and they work, especially for smaller threads where the helix angle is less of an issue. However, I actually prefer to use a good HSS-cobalt threading tool with 15 degree relief angles for SS because it cuts cleaner at lower speeds so I don't have to deal with work hardening a thread. I cut straight in with my Sherline and set the compound at 29.5 degrees on my Emco lathe and both methods work well.

Another tooling option would be to consider the threading tools from AR Warner; they sell both stand up and lay down style inserts that are sharp T-15 HSS inserts and should work well in SS. Their HSS CCMW turning inserts and SCLCR tool holders are also an alternative to carbide turning tools; they are sharp when new and are easily sharpened by flattening their tops on a fine or extra-fine diamond stone so you might look into them.

Whichever tooling system you choose, practice. These tools don't just magically make you capable just by owning them. You need to learn which speeds, feeds and depths of cut work on the machine you have and the only way to learn this is to cut.
Thanks, no offense taken. I am a novice, but is there any way you could show me how a picture of a threading tool you have ground. I bought 5/8 blanks and I was kicking myself after because they are awfully big. I feel it would be easier and less wasteful working with something smaller.

I have always used the compound to increase DOC BY .002 max. I engage the half nut at the appropriate spot based on the thread gauge (don’t know the technical name), and I shut the motor off and reverse, so that I don’t engage the half nut in the wrong place. I run as slow as possible 65 rpms. I couldn’t imagine running faster, but I will try tomorrow. Is there anything about how I’m doing that wrong? It works for softer metals.

All my threading is done at 90' because I have a solid plinth in place of the top slide.
Just to check, the tool bit point is exactly horizontal?
There is some relief on the two sides and under the point, have you honed a slight radius on the tip?
Can you post a pic of the tool bit

All my threading is done at 90' because I have a solid plinth in place of the top slide.
Just to check, the tool bit point is exactly horizontal?
There is some relief on the two sides and under the point, have you honed a slight radius on the tip?
Can you post a pic of the tool bit
I will post tomorrow. It has an attempt at 7 degree relief.

Thanks, no offense taken. I am a novice, but is there any way you could show me how a picture of a threading tool you have ground. I bought 5/8 blanks and I was kicking myself after because they are awfully big. I feel it would be easier and less wasteful working with something smaller.

Sure, go to post 136 to see my threading tools and post 104 for instructions on grinding them.

If I were you, I would use 3/8" HSS-cobalt blanks for threading stainless. Anything larger takes too much effort to grind and costs more.

I have always used the compound to increase DOC BY .002 max. I engage the half nut at the appropriate spot based on the thread gauge (don’t know the technical name), and I shut the motor off and reverse, so that I don’t engage the half nut in the wrong place. I run as slow as possible 65 rpms. I couldn’t imagine running faster, but I will try tomorrow. Is there anything about how I’m doing that wrong? It works for softer metals.

A lot depends on the thread pitch you're cutting, the tool you're using and your familiarity with the thread cutting process. It isn't difficult and will get easier with practice.

I will defer to David Best with regard to carbide tooling. In general, however, the smaller the thread, the fewer the number passes required to cut them. There are charts available from the manufacturer of your insert that gives you guidelines on depth of cut per pass, the number of passes required and so on.

With HSS, the relief angles under the cutting edge actually matters, as does your method of infeed. If you cut straight in instead of using the compound then both flanks are engaged simultaneously and the potential for rubbing is increased unless your relief angles provide clearance for the helix angle of the thread you're cutting. For smaller threads under about 16 tpi, I have found that 15 degrees of side relief is more than enough to avoid excessive rubbing due to the helix angle of the thread but there is still usually some burring. In contrast, when feeding in with the compound only the leading flank is doing most of the cutting and the following flank is doing a clean up. I find that with this type of tooling and my usual 15 degrees of relief, there is almost no rubbing and the threads are much cleaner. This is one reason why I prefer a HSS tool; I get to control the relief angles. To be fair, no way would I rely on HSS in a production situation; I would be using a Carmex BLU insert for that.

As for technique, each of us has our own way of doing things. When using a HSS tool, I normally start with a scratch pass with a 0.001" depth of cut to make sure my gearing is right for the thread I'm trying to cut. If the pattern is correct then I'll make a 0.009" depth of cut and make a full pass. For my next pass, I cut the depth of cut to 0.005" deep and see how the tool is cutting. If the pass is clean and without burrs then I'll usually take one or two more passes at 0.005", then I usually step down the depth of cut until I am at 0.001-0.002" per pass. The reason for this is because as you go deeper, the amount of cutting edge greatly increases; to keep heat and cutting forces under control you have to reduce your depth of cut or you'll start tearing the material or work harden it.

Look up how to estimate your total depth of cut and how to use the thread dial indicator. I have to run out soon so I'll leave it to you or others to take it from here.

Sure, go to post 136 to see my threading tools and post 104 for instructions on grinding them.

If I were you, I would use 3/8" HSS-cobalt blanks for threading stainless. Anything larger takes too much effort to grind and costs more.
How do you grind your tools accurately like that. I don’t have the money to buy a nice bench grinder with a table and wider wheels. It’s got a flimsy tool rest. I know it can be done by hand, but I need to get the 3/8 size. 5/8 is difficult to grind equally because the circular shape of the wheel takes more out of the center of the 5/8 tool. When trying to compensate there are unequal high and low spots.

Back