How Warm Is Too Warm?

sanddan

Active User
Registered
I finely got a chance to make some chips with my new to me Jet mill. I was running a 3" face mill at 950 rpm taking lite cuts to square up a plate I will be making into a mini pallet. Temp in the shop was about 85 deg F and during a tool change I noticed the drawbar was a little warm. Feeling the head, it was warm also. Not too hot to touch but warmer than my gear head mill would have been. It seemed to center on the area where the var speed belt and pulleys are located. Is this normal with this type of head or should I be alarmed?

As to the title of this post, I know that 85 is too hot for me to be in the shop. Fairly high humidity for this neck of the woods to. :)

I think you're OK, mine runs a bit warm in this weather, I noticed that yesterday. I was running about 2800 rpm on a 3/8 carbide endmill and noticed that the spindle was a bit warmer than normal after a 10 min or so run. The vari-drive normally runs a bit warm on mine.

You're right, a bit uncomfortable in the shop.

85 degrees. I can't even work in my shop this week. Temperature has been over 100 degree plus! My Index mill, similar to a BridgePort mill will warm up to around 90-95 degrees using a 2-1/2" face mill for lengths at a time. Just give the bearings a few drops of oil frequently and you should be ok.

Thanks for the comments, sounds like I'm ok.

I know I'm a puss, I can't take the heat like I used to when I was younger. I get a lot more work done in the winter than the summer. Perfect weather is 70 to 75 and low (below 40%) humidity. This summer it's been WAY TOO HOT here in the PNW. Can't wait till Sept/Oct when the temps cool down a bit.

my "shop" gets over 100F on some days, so I just take my T-shirt off and have a floor fan pointing at me which has a plus side of blowing all the chips < before they hit my chest :)

I dont know how hot my shop gets. I threw all the thermometers away. My theory is hot is hot. If I cant see how hot it is I cant tell a diffrence between 95* or a 100*. Plus I can take the heat better than the cold.
My burkes belt drive head gets a tad warm during extended run times, of it dosent get to hot to touch, yhen I wouldent worry about it.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

105* in my shop at 4PM. Running my floor fan was standing in front of a blast furnace. July and August are murder here.

i punched out a few bushings this afternoon 96*F outside.
my shop air conditioner was on full blast, it kept the shop at 83*F...:cool:

Back