Hydraulic Floor Jacks

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am looking for a good 3 ton hydraulic floor jack. It need to be lightweight so aluminum. What do you have? What is the best/worst?
Robert

I just bought a steel 3 ton low profile jack from Harbor Freight and am totally happy with it. The aluminum one is probably just fine, however for me steel is the material for a floor jack....

John

I don't mind spending a little more to buy a "lifetime" jack. Does anyone have experience with this?
1619353040576.png
Of course it may come from the same factory on the Mainland as the HF you mentioned!
Robert

I bought one of the low profile aluminum jacks. I did as other suggested, to remove the cylinder and clean it to remove any debris. Did not really see any, refilled it, lubed all pivot points and been fine for several years now.
Pierre

I don't mind spending a little more to buy a "lifetime" jack. Does anyone have experience with this?
View attachment 363775
Of course it may come from the same factory on the Mainland as the HF you mentioned!
Robert
I guess lifetime is relative. I think the HF racing jack is going to last me as long as I’m going to be wanting to work on cars. I’m not to that point yet of not buying ripe fruit, but still.....

The one in the pic looks exactly like one I bought at Cost Co Years ago IN PR, no issues. Have a low profile 3-ton, also from Cost Co. Not light, but has held up very well. Probably have 5-6 floor jacks, all relatively cheap, and all seem to work just fine, some 40 yrs old. I wouldn't spend big dollars on a floor jack. Mike

View attachment 363775
Robert
That looks very similar to the Harbor Freight jack.

I don't think I'd pay anything extra for a Chinese tool regardless of "branding". Yes they are all made in the same factories, the difference is with Harbor Freight if something isn't right you have a local outfit to straighten it out.

The only really important things to know about floor jacks are to chock your tires, choose a good lifting point, and get the jackstands set up before you go underneath the car. Oh, and always leave it loose because closing the pump and letting it heat up can blow out the seals.

I still have the one I bought at an autoparts store when I was a young man and it works fine, the only reason I bought another is that one is 2000 miles away.

I agree, this isn't one of those tools where the more expensive one is a lot better, as long as it lifts your car that's really all it needs to do.

John

I had to break down and buy this HF jack because the jack I’d had since I was 20ysld which friends and family had gotten me for my b-day started leaking. At that time a floorjack was a bigger deal than today. It was really like my dog or a family member was sick. I went to a professional jack service. All it needed was seals and it being metric and odd size not available. It was more sentimental value than anything but 40+ yrs of service it didn’t owe me anything. I definitely wished many a time it was AL instead of steel and cast iron. I ended up disassembling it and repurposing most of it. The wheels and castors are under my welding/plasma workstation and the frame for various projects. Nothing last forever, in its original form :)

I've got two from HF, a 3T steel low profile and an aluminum 1.5T low profile. 10+ years old.
What I've done with them since the day I got them, is every so often with the 3T I jack up the front of my 2500 until the wheels are just off the ground and then I let it sit overnight.
With the aluminum one I jack it up on the trailer hitch a couple of inches and then let it sit overnight.
A couple of months ago the aluminum one lost a snap ring on on of the pins, not sure why, I pretty much use it for 'light' stuff.
Key is to inspect them always.

Back