Hydraulic Floor Jacks

So this opens up a lot of questions Silverhawk. What’s the difference between a practice puck and a real puck? Of the bad reviews on the site they said they thought the pucks were synthetic. What kind of rubber are pucks made of? I’ve not tried looking on eBay yet, but I was thinking of adding some kind of block rubber to my CL “engineering supplies“ on CL and this might be a source I’ve not thought of. Rubber is great for forming copper on with my arbor press, and I had a couple of chunks I used for my first experiment with copper forming. As usual here I go derailing.
The puck should always be vulcanized rubber, inside and out. If it's synthetic, I don't know how it would behave, so I just assume they are all the same. When used on ice, they are frozen before games but that is simply to reduce bounces. Here is a picture of the puck on my harbor freight jack. It is slightly smaller, but sufficient.

From the looks of it, I might need to replace it, finally.
83828d2d02b99648b98c54a3be44f974.jpg

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Thinking about practice versus game pucks... I was reminded of an old "how it's made" episode about making pucks.
is what went through my head. Practice pucks are simply going to be lighter or slightly smaller. You might see different colors of pucks, they just have different specialties (different weights, or making it harder to see so the player has to feel the puck rather that see it).

Avoid anything street hockey related - they are much too hard.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

I bought some pucks from Howie's Hockey. I bought a pack of 12. At the time they were under $2 each. I used 4 of them to make feet for my mill. It was kind of fun turning them in a lathe, although messy as all get out. Made jack pad out of one, need to do 3 more. They are pretty study suckers. Howie's sells regulation pucks. They are vulcanized rubber (and smell like it too). Just looked and they still cost $2 in single unit quantities. Pucks They seem to be about 75mm wide and 24mm thick. I'm sure there are other places that sell them as well.

When machining rubber or other soft material, it helps to freeze it first and then machine while frozen.

When machining rubber or other soft material, it helps to freeze it first and then machine while frozen.
If your SO doesn't kill you for putting in a stinking hockey puck in your freezer... The pucks I have still have a very strong aroma! Wrap them in foil or something, to minimize the stench.

IMG_1355.jpeg

They do sell pads for floor jacks. This one has been on there for decades: no cracks or chips yet.

I have a HF 2T aluminum jack that I converted into an "off road" floor jack. I have a gravel driveway and no garage. Dragging my old steel floor jack around was near impossible. After I converted the HF aluminum jack, moving and using it is easy peasy. I used the axles, saddle extension and wheels from Pro Eagle and adapter plates I made. It works extremely well........IMG_3838.JPGIMG_3837.JPG

Last edited:
What I've done with them since the day I got them, is every so often with the 3T I jack up the front of my 2500 until the wheels are just off the ground and then I let it sit overnight.
With the aluminum one I jack it up on the trailer hitch a couple of inches and then let it sit overnight.

.....but then I'd think my transmission was shot the next morning!
-brino

I have a HF 2T aluminum jack that I converted into an "off road" floor jack. I have a gravel driveway and no garage. Dragging my old steel floor jack around was near impossible. After I converted the HF aluminum jack, moving and using it is easy peasy. I used the axles, saddle extension and wheels from Pro Eagle plus and adapter plates I made. It works extremely well........View attachment 366628View attachment 366629
I have also been shopping for a new 3T jack and was planning on getting the HF 3T low profile, But I will have to make these mods. I also have gravel and no garage and wrestled with my old one for a lot of years.
Right now they are out of the 6 inch front wheels.

Back