I Am Not Making This Up

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi guys,
As many of you guys know, I have been very fortunate getting deals. About 2 months ago, a guy on craigslist wanted to giveaway machinery to non-profits. I explained I wasn't a non-profit, but wanted to eventually share my workshop with others, especially folks who might otherwise never have the chance to use such machinery.

Then, as the weeks went by, I forgot about that guy, and bought my $450 Bridgeport.
With the Bridgeport in my little garage, I now really have no space.

Then, today, the guy contacted me, and told me he wanted to give me the machinery, a Walker Turner radial drill, a 18" Craftsman bandsaw, and a Diamond horizontal mill.

Here are pics:
IMG_08811.jpg
IMG_08821.jpg
IMG_08831.jpg

This really ****** me off. I had made up my mind to not get anymore machines, then this happens.

Btw, I asked to get a side view of the bandsaw, but the guy said he wasn't hone this weekend. I then sent him a pic of this, asking if it looked like the same model, and he said yes.
images (25).jpg
I have a Taiwanese 14" bandsaw I was thinking of keeping to cut wood, and I have a 12" Craftsman bandsaw that I was going to use for metal.

Now, I am considering getting rid of them for the 18". Ugh. More moving and selling.

I also have my $100 Benchmaster horizontal mill. Compared to the Diamond, it looks like a toy. The benchmaster probably weighs 170 lbs, but is nice that I can plop it on top of a workbench to save space. I wanted a horizontal mill sick I really want to make gears to sell online. Ugh, now I have to decide if I can really benefit from the Diamond that would take up more space, but definitely be more rigid.

I told the guy I wasn't interested in the radial drill (I already have an Atlas floor drill).

He told me of I took the bandsaw and mill, he'd throw in a free Procunier tapping head.

He said he is getting rid of the machines since he originally got them to restore, but now doesn't have the time or space to do that.

Btw, since I have a million milling cutters with a 1" arbor for my little Benchmaster, I think the Diamond's arbor size would determine yey or ney.

Also, here is a pic of the same model 12" bandsaw that I was hoping to make mine look like. I have same cast iron pedestal as well. I even contacted the owner in the past, and found out from him what kind of paint he used to make that gloss. I was planning on making me awesome, but the 18" bandsaw would definitely cut through metal easier.
122-B.jpg

If you were me, what would you do?
Btw, this is why my workshop isn't ready. I keep on unexpectantly adding or changing machines due super deals I stumble upon.

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:
Be his and your own hero; take them and at least make temp space for them while you develop a "long term plan". Perhaps a once in a lifetime deal; jump on it then have fun sorting it out. Sammy

Also, drop that Walker Turner off and I'll stick it in the shop. ~3,000 miles - you could be here and back in a week ;)

I have a Diamond mill and I really like it- wouldn't mind another
Plus I'm close to you :)
Mark

Be his and your own hero; take them and at least make temp space for them while you develop a "long term plan". Perhaps a once in a lifetime deal; jump on it then have fun sorting it out. Sammy
Sammy, thanks for the feedback. I asked the owner if he would mind if I took the radial drill press and offered it to my friend who has a machinery transportation business as payment for dropping off machinery at my place. The owner was cool with that. I told him that before I commit, I need to first see the machines in person. I am trying to delay saying yes or no too soon, but still seem serious with the owner.

If you were me, what would you do?

If I were you I would trade bodies with me so I could enjoy all that luck & generosity you are receiving! Being Wonder Woman would be cool! But then again if I were you then problem solved already. :big grin:

If I were you I would trade bodies with me so I could enjoy all that luck & generosity you are receiving! Being Wonder Woman would be cool! But then again if I were you then problem solved already. :big grin:
LOL!

Back