I Am Not Making This Up

Surprise! Some of us still use calipers and dividers; there are things that cannot be measured with dial/digital/vernier calipers, Personally I do not trust dial or especially digital calipers for accurate measurements; call me old fashioned, and proud of it!

I just used my outside calipers today. I like to set them a certain diameter and use them while roughing, plus you don't have to turn the lathe off.

you jwmay for your useful input. From looking at the prices on ebay for most vintage 4 pieces combination squares, I would have thought they were really useful.

Keep in mind, the cost of a vintage item on EBay may have nothing to do with how useful it is. People pay lots of money for lots of things for lots of reasons. I once paid nearly 400 dollars for an item I used precisely never, and sold it after 3 years of moving it out of my way. Anyhow like you said, they can be useful. But I don’t see needing a drawer full of them. I use dividers the same way others have mentioned. Just not often, and if I didn’t have them I wouldn’t be stalled. I use a combination square for a lot of layout type work. But again, if I didn’t have them, I wouldn’t lose any time. Contrast that with dial or digital calipers, which I couldn’t do without. Super useful gadget...20 bucks will buy you a set that are as accurate as most of us need. A micrometer set that ranges from 0-6 inches would be the only way to continue if I didn’t have calipers. Calipers that indicate measurements in thousandths of an inch, in my opinion, essential.

Btw, I had to look it up, but apparently the terms divider and caliper seem to be interchangeable.

Thanks guys. I will sort through my dividers/calipers to decide which to offer to our members --- the ones who dare to use archaic old tools ;-)

You have a lot of nice vintage hardware, I am jealous. I just wish I could come up with a centerfinder like the bunch you have laying in that drawer...

Do you need any Dial calipers? I may have one or two I can send your way. You will have to check them out, I pulled them from the excess tool bin at my last job. Let me know. Tim

Thank you jbobb1. I appreciate your compliment :) However, when you say "drive" do you mean lack of impulse control once it comes to deals? I am at the point where, as "chips&more" labeled it, I am more of a collector than user. I don't want to be a collector, and truly want to cut some metal. I just keep on running into deals. From my experience with visiting old machinists, some of them get a lot of work done with just 1 lathe, 1 mill drill, a few grinders, and a horizontal bandsaw. I am a newbie with a Bridgeport. I need to attend tool hoarding rehab, lol.

No Ma'am. I apologize if it sounded that way. Simply referring to your desire to continue with your goals even with some of the drawbacks you've had.

You have a lot of nice vintage hardware, I am jealous. I just wish I could come up with a centerfinder like the bunch you have laying in that drawer...
Oh, is that what those are? LOL! ;-)

Back