I bet this will present some machining opportunities!

Is that a John Deere? I'm envious.

Yup, 1956 John Deere 420C. Tested the hydraulics yesterday and they work but EVERYTHING leaks and the oil looks like chocolate milk. Another item on my ToDo list...

crawler23.jpg

Found some more presents when I drained the transmission.

crawler24.jpg

Right side final drive off, wasn't too difficult. I'll start on the clutch pack but I have to knock off early today to go help a friend.

Uh oh. Funny I was looking at those and I could smell funky gear oil! Talk about a Pavlovian response.....

crawler25.jpg

Got the transmission out today. Took a crew of three (Me, Myself and I) about 5 hours. 4 jacks and an engine crane, lot of fussing with jack it up a little here, let it down a little there, move it back a little, reset, up/down/move/rinse/repeat. Biggest trick is getting the front flange of the transmission case up and over the rear crossmember for the undercarriage without tweaking the propeller shaft.

crawler26.jpg

It's a LONG walk from the front of the transmission to the clutch and throwout bearing. I suspect putting it back in is gonna be a cast iron *****. Definitely going to have to fab up a jig to hold the trans and allow me to tilt it just right while rolling it into place. Have some ideas on that subject, plenty of time to think it over.

Good job. In a certain way I guess because the first 8yrs and 3 different places I worked I was the sole mech, but I kinda prefer working by myself. The last semi same job I did was the trans and transfer case in my Nissan 4x4. I ended up getting a HF scissor trans jack and modifying the head to tilt fwd and back. At the time they were only $59, now they are $99. In a certain way the scissor was easier because it took all the over shoot that always seemed to happen with the hydraulic jacks. I only used the jack once and it ended up getting left behind but it worked excellent for what I was doing and like all thing HF it was cheap and I could mod the heck outta it and not feel bad. YMMV.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 3
I'm gonna try one of these on my engine crane for starters:

713biUZOyRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If that turns out not to work, I'll definitely jump on the transmission jack from HF. Thanks for the tip!

I love my engine hoist but it always seems to foul the Jack stands. It's hard to tell if you have more clearance above or below. With my trans/transfer case I had no overhead and had to work through the bottom and between the Jack stands so the little HF scissor unit worked perfect.

I made a sling similar to that that fit down in the valley of Chevy 350 in the place of the intake manifold. All done it was lower than the carburator would have been. My dad had a Chevy van and my brother did the engine and I did the auto trans. My brother was the one who turned me onto not taking the engine out the front but taking it out the through the passenger side cab. But one of the slings like the one in the picture stuck up too high into the dash because of the chains and thread mechanism. So I took two pieces of 3" channel with "C's" together and the screw mechanism inside the channel C's with 1/2" all thread and nuts to move the sling hook welded with clearance for the hook to stick out between the channel and tabs to bolt in place of the intake manifold. It worked shockingly well. Engine went in slick as a whistle. I knew I'd never do another V8 so gave it to the guy we sold our house to as he drove nothing but v8's.

rev1.jpg

rev2.jpg

rev3.jpg

rev4.jpg

Pulled the reverser off the front of the trans and found the above. And that doesn't account for the rollers that came out of the transmission proper. Likely they came from the bearing that used to be in the front of that intermediate shaft tho. Not sure where the bearing remnants in the third picture came from, it looks to have been a needle bearing.

At the very least it will need a new reverser casting as the boss for the intermediate shaft is trashed. The nose of the intermediate shaft where the nut is all boogered up is likely trashed too.

Parts for these transmissions are roughly as common as hen's teeth, honest politicians and winning Power Ball tickets. Even IF I can find them, being able to afford them is another whole issue.

I'll finish tearing it apart, but I also have to consider cutting my losses and parting it out.

Back