I Fought the Bear (and I Won!)

The problem is the animals have high motivation and lots of free time.

Looks like you need one of those lockable construction site tool boxes......

Brian
I've considered a chain link enclosure, but I'm trying to make the point that WM needs to provide bear-resistant containers. We still have to put the containers out for pickup. As it is, I have to get up early on the morning of pickup to put the can out. Sometimes the truck comes through early and I miss it. I asked (again) when I requested another replacement container, but was told they don't offer bear-resistant containers in Shasta county. They do, however, offer unlimited replacements, and I have almost as much free time as the bears. Both the bear and I like solving puzzles. Hoping to get to the point where he has to go through the side of the container, which he will.

Cement block bin storage enclosure with a
steel door.

Either that or just don’t put the garbage into the container until the morning of pickup.

Agree you need a solution but doubt your hauler is going to provide anything effective. Are you aware of any residential garbage systems that are sufficiently bear resistant they could purchase?

As it stands now you’re doing the same as folks who try to keep squirrels out of their bird feeders, except with a much larger and more dangerous animal. What you really want to avoid is having this particular bear decide it’s coming inside to get at the goodies directly.

If your local wildlife agency isn’t helpful maybe the neighbors would chip in for a blockhouse if they’re experiencing trouble too.

Stay safe.

John

My first choice would be one of the 3 yd. bear proof community dumpsters like in the National Parks. I understand that's what is mandated up in Tahoe. I'm not inclined to spend a lot of money to protect their containers if their not inclined to provide containers that are up to the conditions.

The bear is pretty timid, turns and runs as soon as I open the door. I am lightly armed but I'm fairly certain I could discourage him from coming into the house.

I've contacted the Fish & Wildlife Dept. and reported the problem I'm also encouraging my neighbors to do the same.

Don't recall the numbers for the bear proof cans, I do recall that I was surprised at how high they were. My guess they want the Fish and wildlife folks to solve the problem.

They may not be happy with the mods since the bear destroyed the can versus leaving a mess for you to clean up. You are in a tough spot.

BTW for my area that would be a decent black bear with the spring hunt just finished. You may want to go with heavier back up or a couple cans of bear spray. In the back country we pack beat spray and shotguns with alternative 00 buck and slugs or a lever action rifle. Don't have any large caliber semi auto rifles. We keep the bear spray away from livestock.

Don't recall the numbers for the bear proof cans, I do recall that I was surprised at how high they were. My guess they want the Fish and wildlife folks to solve the problem.

They may not be happy with the mods since the bear destroyed the can versus leaving a mess for you to clean up. You are in a tough spot.

BTW for my area that would be a decent black bear with the spring hunt just finished. You may want to go with heavier back up or a couple cans of bear spray. In the back country we pack beat spray and shotguns with alternative 00 buck and slugs or a lever action rifle. Don't have any large caliber semi auto rifles. We keep the bear spray away from livestock.
The good bear resistant containers run close to $500. Definitely not in my budget. From my conversation with WM, it seems that they do offer BR containers elsewhere, just not in my county.

To object to making the can BR would be advocating allowing the bears access to the garbage. That might be a tough sell.

Yes, it's a full grown bear, no question. The holes in the bumper of my car suggest his claws are over 3" long. My videos have been made from inside the house, though I have stepped out to run him off. He takes off immediately, so not accustomed to being around people. You must also have brown bears. I've had numerous black bear encounters in the back country but never felt the need to be armed or carry bear spray. Every ounce counts and the weight of those two items would be better allocated to alcohol.

I've had grizz and black bears on my property. In fact last night I had a wolf howling right next to my place. Several years ago a wolf on the Junior high School football field was videoed and made national news. I was a little surprised with the wolf, we have coyotes and lately a cougar with some kittens have been seen attaching domestic pets and sheep around me.

Had a small bull moose on and around my place for a week or so. Deer, ducks, geese, pheasants ( none this year I think the skunks and cats finished them) herons, turkeys, eagles bald and golden, hawks,owls etc.

Love seeing the wild life.

Back