I Fought the Bear (and I Won!)

I always thought it was the other way around. I'm more afraid to of grizzlies, black bears o CD ten run off.

The Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and golfers to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while hiking.

They advise people to wear noise producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert but not startle the bear unexpectedly. They also advise carrying pepper spray in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity and know the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings.

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray

In response to the points of failure of the first can, I modified the design when I received a new can from WM. It's been a couple of weeks, but he finally showed up again. He seems to have the schedule figured out, it was Tuesday morning, which is pickup day. However, he neglected to consult his calendar. Tuesday was the holiday, so pickup was delayed until today. He seemed much less determined this time, which may be due to my attempts to control the scent by carefully sealing the bags. Not only did he not get in, he didn't even do any damage to the can.

Back