I have a stuck arbor.

Like this in the vise.

How are you going to hold the arbor like that?
Get some blanks the same size as the drive dogs, 5/8" I think you said. Make sure they stick out past the edge of the head and hold tight in a vise upside down. Then use your strap wrench and turn CCW.

My criterion is the same way. I just use it with the chewed up straight 3/4” arbor it has. Wanted to change to r8 but can’t disassembly. Doesn’t really matter so it’s low on my list. It’d be different if I couldn’t use it as is for sure.
Is your arbor a weldon shank? My 3/4" arbor did have a flat. As I mentioned earlier I wanted to save that arbor so I didn't want to modify it to be able to hold it better. Otherwise I would have machined two large flats on it or cut off most of it then drill & bore.

How I got it off my Criterion was stuck it in my mill vise with a V groove pad on one side, then a square bar against the arbor flat. Dovetail screws tightened. Used a mild steel bar to unscrew it. My thought was using mild steel cause it was softer than the boring head so less risk of damaging the head. I finally got it off with a few good whacks on the bar with a hammer. I wanted to get more leverage with a cheater pipe but I didn't have anything small enough in diameter & long enough at the time.

20130406_183636.jpg20190508_183019.jpg

How are you going to hold the arbor like that?
This ^^^

What are you using to grab a hold of the arbor to try to unscrew it? I have my doubts about using a strap wrench though. The 3 boring heads I have done were on crazy tight, don't think a strap wrench would hold. One of them was a square head Criterion though, that one was the easiest to hold.

I traded some things and think this will fit .

Attachments

• IMG_9509.JPG
    IMG_9509.JPG
    424.5 KB · Views: 8
Like this in the vise.
I think you might have better luck holding onto the arbor in the vise like I did. I used the mill vise cause I only have a light duty bench vise that's mounted on a woodworking bench with casters.

Make some keys or use whatever you have to put in the arbor slots & hold that in the vise. Then stick a bar in the side hole & use a long cheater pipe. Don't use an endmill/HSS. I doubt it'll snap but it's more brittle & it's possible especially if hammering which I had to do.

Squirt some Kroil (or whatever your favorite flavor is) in there too & let it soak for a while.

Back