I Might Become a Machinist

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm taking a written assessment, then if I pass will be doing a practical assessment for an advanced step apprentice.
If anyone here has taken a written assessment please share your experience.

Help me out here please, is Pre Assessment the same as an Aptitude Test?

"Billy G"

Main thing in written assessment tests is answer what YOU think is the best and most honest solution to each question -NOT what you think they want to hear. Even if the 'correct' answer is obvious. Sometimes it's not. Often these tests are written to judge consistently, independent thinking, and your honesty. A test writer will often add multiple questions through out the assessment, asking for the same or related answer/solution in different ways - some obvious, others not so obvious at all. If you give inconsistent answers- based on what they 'obviously' want you to say the first time, but your best solution the second time, you might not do well. Because you will answer more subtle questions your way - leading to an inconsistent score at the end.

Just answer the whole thing using your best judgement and personal experience. You won't go wrong.

Help me out here please, is Pre Assessment the same as an Aptitude Test?

"Billy G"
Yeah I think so.
Since it is for the company I work for it won't be a psych test or anything like that, strictly a skills assessment in written first then practical on the lathe and mill I would guess.

Hope it works out well for you, DD. I'm pulling for you!

In that case they will be looking for Mechanical Aptitude and logical answers. Just be you and as said, not them. It will be intimidating but not to the point of scaring you off. We all went thru them to get where we are.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
About 10 years ago I took the elevator mechanics union test at a Customers behest, they gave you 4 hours, it was quite easy to tell what they were and were not looking for in candidates such as a blank page used for math calculations (no calculators allowed) that had DO NOT DISCARD printed on it. Nearly every math question was in common fractions for some reason, such as 1/5 + 1/3 - 1/8 =

In your case excellent math skills will help a good deal, math related to machining that is, calculus is not something that you will likely need on the shop floor, trigonometry is extremely useful however.

Good luck

Back in 1999 when I put my name in the hat for Paramedic class (promotion), they had me go to the community collage for a overall aptitude exam. It included math, reading comprehension, and writing. Same thing with the blank sheet of paper for working out math problems. Now, all you need is a pulse, clean background check and $$$ to be accepted. Good luck DD, I wish you well.

I still don't know how I passed the writing portion, these days all reports are done on laptop (auto correct) but until 2007 I carried a mini thesaurus and had smarter partners:cocksure:.

Back