I ordered a PM-940M-PDF

Thanks. I am Jonesin to order it, but need to finish a couple of pressing projects first. :( Making room for it is another story.

Another question. Have you checked for any run out / drop, when running the x axis all the way both directions? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Another question. Have you checked for any run out / drop, when running the x axis all the way both directions? Thank you in advance.

I did a quick test when I first set the machine up, and i didn't detect anything. Imo, a lot of people get drop because they run loose gibs, not because the table is actually flexing.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am hoping this will be my last mill at this point. What kind of run out or back lash have you found with this machine, if any.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am hoping this will be my last mill at this point. What kind of run out or back lash have you found with this machine, if any.

for run-out on a spindle, it was maybe 2 tenths from what i can remember. Table backlash was maybe 10 thousands, but then i haven't taken the time to adjust the nuts.

for run-out on a spindle, it was maybe 2 tenths from what i can remember. Table backlash was maybe 10 thousands, but then i haven't taken the time to adjust the nuts.
0.2" seems like a lot to me. Maybe I am not thinking correctly, but I was thinking maybe 0.02" or 0.002" run out. Are the hardened ways really worth the extra cost? Thanks, yet again. :)

I probably shouldn't reply to someone else's statement; however, I will take a stab at it anyway.

Generally (not always, but) a non-machinist would refer to a "tenth" as 0.10 of an inch.
A machinist refers to a "tenth" as a tenth of a thousandth or 0.0001 of an inch.

If I messed that up, I shall crawl back under my rock.

Jerry in Delaware

Thank you. I am definitely not a machinist by trade and have more to learn than I will ever be able to. So thank you for answering my uneducated questions.

Back