I ordered a PM-940M-PDF

I regularly take 0.100+" DOC in aluminum with my 4" Glacern 45deg face mill on my PM932. My old Smithy Granite would do that too and it was a lot less rigid than the PM.
I take it you are using really slow feeds them?

I take it you are using really slow feeds them?

Glacern FM45-400 - 6061 Aluminum - 1200 rpm at 20 ipm for roughing. Makes a huge mess of chips in short order. 0.020" or less DOC at 10 ipm for finish.
Down side to a 4" face mill is your tram needs to be spot on.

Interesting, I only have a 1.5 inch that I used for steel and aluminum. I have the two and a half inch on my list, maybe I'll have to up it to something larger.

Glacern FM45-400 - 6061 Aluminum - 1200 rpm at 20 ipm for roughing. Makes a huge mess of chips in short order. 0.020" or less DOC at 10 ipm for finish.
Down side to a 4" face mill is your tram needs to be spot on.

Yea I listened to the voices (not you Dan) that chanted the "small is better" mantra regarding face mills and I bought the Glacern 2.5" when I had my CO bench mill. It handled everything I threw at it with aplomb. Including steel. Wish I'd bought the 3" now, but as the 2.5 does very well I probably won't waste the money to upgrade unless I start facing larger parts on a regular basis.

EDIT: I should set the record straight and say that I use my face mill for facing, not hogging. If I have to take more than 0.1", I use other cutters for the majority of the stock removal and then finish with the face mill.

Thanks guys for posting the part numbers . I appreciate it...and sorry to hijack the thread ! Sounds like I'll be putting a glacern on the list and found those SEHT inserts.

It won't be my first mill, but it will be my first new mill, so fair warning I'm sure I will have a few questions. Besides the basic mill I got the hardened table & ways option, and a 4" Homge vise. Even before I placed my order with Ray, I started ordering some accessories, If I can get out from under my Christmas present making duties, I'll take some pictures and post them.
I see you are fairly close to me. ( Edwardsville ). I have been pricing this same machine, but being a flat out novice with milling machines I may indeed have lots of questions. It is this one or the 932. Decisions, decisions. :)

I see you are fairly close to me. ( Edwardsville ). I have been pricing this same machine, but being a flat out novice with milling machines I may indeed have lots of questions. It is this one or the 932. Decisions, decisions. :)

Thankfully the internet is an excellent source of information, and thus allows you to bring yourself up to speed pretty fast. feel free to ask any questions you want.

Thankfully the internet is an excellent source of information, and thus allows you to bring yourself up to speed pretty fast. feel free to ask any questions you want.
Nice video Dan_S on building the base, very informative and gave me ideas. I watched it a few times before I joined HM . You should make some more vids ! I saw the holes you made in what looks like 0.185" mild steel, I just drilled 16 holes in 0.250" steel for casters ...with my cheap HF drill press...not fun , so i'm looking forward to getting my mill set up . Very nice job on the base . And your welds are fine. I'm only 5'9" so im raising it only about 2.5 inches .

Have you modified your mill, other than the base? Thanks for the video, btw.

Back