I want to build my first engine

It's a 3" Vevor vise. Sort of wish I went with a 4", but based on the specs I thought it might hang off the edge too far for my taste. It has very sharp corners, which has proved annoying. Other than that it seems pretty decent for the money. I can't get stock exactly square, but reasonably damn close, and it doesn't cost 1/2 of what a used Kurt does. I ended up getting a bigger US made vise off ebay (pics from yesterday are the US made vise), but for smaller work the Vevor will remain in the lineup.

EDIT: here's a comparison Pic

View attachment 464271
No man you dodged a bullet, the 4" I got is crap.

I originally bought the 3" for the same concerns you had, the possibility of it being too big. I figured if I liked it and wanted the 4" I would at least get a look at the quality of the lineup and I could always pony up the $66 for the 4" later.

I liked the 3" enough that I did buy the 4" and Im sorry I did.

The packaging was crap and it was damaged in shipment. I complained about this and got 1/3 of my money refunded. Then when I decided to make the most of it and keep it I realized it was no where near the same quality.

The handle was garbage due to being machined very poorly and the screw needs a bushing to make it run concentric with the jaw.

I complained about these issues too and got another 1/3 refund.

Its not a bad vise "Kit" for $22, but its no where worth near asking price.

Bored the center out of a chunk of durabar for the piston.

20231101_115022.jpg

My piston lapping rig might be classified as "crude but effective" I'm trying a super glue arbor. I'm with 1/2 a thou I think on the fit. Decided to stop for lunch.

20231101_110105.jpg

Project is at a temporary halt. Scrapped the piston. I did not think through my order of operations very well and drilled the piston for the connecting rod _after_ parting it off. What I discovered is that I distorted the piston skirt by .006" while fixturing it to drill the connecting rod hole.
At this point the piston is probably too close to final dimension at the top of the piston to adequately get it back to circular.

Lesson learned, and I've ordered a piece of durabar. Sure would be nice is it was available in smaller diameters as that was a $20 mistake for a tiny piece of material.

Looking good there! Keep up the good work

How did you fixture the piston to the vice to get distortion? I have always clamped the piston parallel to a vice to avoid distortion. Then indicate from the yet to be lapped sides and front jaw of the vice.

Rgds
Olli

Attachments

• IMG_8729.jpeg
    IMG_8729.jpeg
    473.3 KB · Views: 3
Prop driver, washer, and nut are made but need adjustment. The threads are not long enough so the driver will need to go in a collet chuck for thinning. But hey it looks like an engine!

20231110_112236.jpg

New cast iron stock obtained and lathe work started. Will NOT be parting off until its fully machined so it can be held in a collet block....this time.

20231110_112250.jpg

Looking good there! Keep up the good work

How did you fixture the piston to the vice to get distortion? I have always clamped the piston parallel to a vice to avoid distortion. Then indicate from the yet to be lapped sides and front jaw of the vice.

Rgds
Olli

Lol sideways. That SHOULD have been an obvious solution, but I did it the other way!

Prop driver, washer, and nut are made but need adjustment. The threads are not long enough so the driver will need to go in a collet chuck for thinning. But hey it looks like an engine!

View attachment 465988

New cast iron stock obtained and lathe work started. Will NOT be parting off until its fully machined so it can be held in a collet block....this time.

View attachment 465989

Looking likes it close to being finished!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re-made the piston. Installed and it makes compression. Was getting some dragging. Piston scratches slightly. Circular marks on the rod. Clearly need to hand fit the rod. The Piston seems to drag slightly in the bore but I'm concerned about lapping it further and losing seal. Scratching my head for the time being.

20231122_083014.jpg

Back