I want to cut my first gear

Out of curiosity, why the slotted holes? Also, it seems like a lot of fasteners, for a bottle capper. Your design is nearly as beefy as an arbor press. Very cool rack! Amazing what one can do in FreeCAD.

A FreeCAD question: Is the model an assembly drawing, or is it just a bunch of bodies in the right places?

Slotted holes are for wear and/or my lack of precision! Yeah, I probably over built this. That's what I do.

The FreeCad model was done using A2+ workbench.

Lot of fasteners indeed.
Are you able to export a .STEP file of the 3d model? I can show you some ways to reduce fasteners count and posibly weight, while maintain or increase strength. Screws don't like to take shear load in preference to tension and compression in a lesser extent. Add bosses, depressions or tabs to the body to take perpendicular loading.

I can export a .STEP file for each part, but not the whole assembly.

That's all good. just something to save me some time modeling off of isometrics.
Just some examples better explaind in a model than random internet photos. See this taping guide machine, the screws that hold the column to the base go from the under side, vertical into the bottom to the column. Two or four screws going upside down will save a lot of tapping for those L bracts depicted in your modeling.

1660905573319.png

I originally had 6 screws attached like in the picture except coming up from the bottom into tapped holes in the upright column, but I changed it thinking the angles were stronger. I can change it back.

Your rack is only supported by the pinion on that side.

That will cause binding and extra wear and stress.

So make side panels thicker and notch them or add bushing blocks

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I see what you've saying, but that would prevent me from adjusting it unless I fix the rack and allow adjustments on the pinion.

I see what you've saying, but that would prevent me from adjusting it unless I fix the rack and allow adjustments on the pinion.
I was thinking about putting a through slot in the capping ram. Have it ride up and down on a pair of internal guide rollers. The rollers would be adjustable, and they would keep the thing positioned securely while it's going up and down. I'm not sure if this would work well or not. I'm just spitballing.

I was thinking about putting a through slot in the capping ram. Have it ride up and down on a pair of internal guide rollers. The rollers would be adjustable, and they would keep the thing positioned securely while it's going up and down. I'm not sure if this would work well or not. I'm just spitballing.

Yeah, that would work. I was thinking of putting a pair of adjustable blocks on the teeth side of the rack above and below the pinion. This might be overkill since it's a bottle capper and not an arbor press?

Back