Ideas for easy and cheap chip guard for mill ?

I just use my old face shields from my motorcycle helmets and attach them to a cheap mag base. They seem to be good for keeping about 75-80% of the chips from ending up on the floor.

Ted

Ha! I just remembered that I have a couple of those in a drawer that were too banged up to ride behind. I'm thinking about a flip up guard like what comes shipped with most grinders. Mount it on the front of the quill

I think I'm just getting use to having chips everywhere. Not really.
It drives me nuts. I like the plastic with the magnets idea, as long as the magnets are up out of the way. magnets can be a real PITA
I was thinking about some rubber material to snug up against the side of the mill vise and lay out across the table and surrounding apparatus.
Like a truck inter tube maybe. Heavy enough to hold and easy to pick up and dump in the can.
You can get heavy flexible grey vinyl "shower pan liner" at big box stores. IIRC, it's about 48" wide and they'll cut the length you want from a roll. Pretty inexpensive, and not too bad with hot chips.

Here's a link to the one I made last year. I use it almost every time I'm on the mill.

Regards,
Terry

Here's a link to the one I made last year. I use it almost every time I'm on the mill.

Regards,
Terry

Excellent job, thanks for the link.

Reactions: tjb
I have a few cheap mag bases with pieces of plastic attached, Masonite would work just as well. I set them on the machine table to block chips. On the front of my Kurt clone vise there are two screw holes. I fit another piece of plastic about 18" wide to drop over cap screws in those holes. I try to machine in a direction that throws the chips forward, toward the guard on the vise. Some people with ram type machines have made brackets to fit under the ram to hold pivoted outriggers to support curtains, probably cut down welding curtains.

I have a few cheap mag bases with pieces of plastic attached, Masonite would work just as well. I set them on the machine table to block chips. On the front of my Kurt clone vise there are two screw holes. I fit another piece of plastic about 18" wide to drop over cap screws in those holes. I try to machine in a direction that throws the chips forward, toward the guard on the vise. Some people with ram type machines have made brackets to fit under the ram to hold pivoted outriggers to support curtains, probably cut down welding curtains.
Thanks Illinoyance!

I’m with you... sounds like we have similar methods. One key feature that quickly becomes apparent with chip shields whether lathe or mill is simplicity. To use, clean, maintain, store and adapt to any situation. Sometimes absolute containment effectiveness must be sacrificed for ease of use. I’ve tried magnets but found cleaning off chips between parts was a pain so I default to gravity. An old v-block jaw that already had some tapped holes and pc of masonite became an easy set it wherever shield.
a4867709ad84f42c13a0f9db016c3e25.jpg

a1eb9eea82d6714b4729754ae81eb177.jpg

3c3d0c5e8fdf9fb906af2d6c65ecc2d7.jpg

654872923da785461aec9b33220ff1f7.jpg

f9b248b1012d4737e8a27ee771243ebc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back