Ideas for PM-1236T Setup

I added a 7" wide shelf the length of the backsplash. Created braces out of 3" square tubing cut at 45, also added a brace made out of 1-1/2" angle bolted to backsplash and right end cabinet. Very sturdy, This is a PM-1340GT but same principle.

image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image3.jpeg

I also raised my lathe 7". I'm 6'10", so might be a little high for some.

image0.jpeg

Thats quit the stand you have under your lathe. Did those feet come with the lathe or are they aftermarket of some type? I might have to build something like that also as I understand most lathes are a little on the low side.

Your support for your back splash looks a little jack pole. Is it tied to the floor somehow, so it doesn't get kicked and moved?

Tim
The stand is one I made for my 1340GT that I was waiting on earlier, and then I found the 1440GT used and went with that instead. It's a tad undersized for the 1440, but it's working for now. By the feet, I assume you mean the orange pucks, those come with the lathe.

I'm big on using what I have before I buy materials. The support is a piece of stainless tube that I got from the scrap bin at my local metals dealer and I just made a jack screw arrangement with a left over bolt I had and a tee on top of some more scrap from a project I did a few years ago on a trailer.

The back of the lathe is right up against my roll up garage door, so nobody can bump it accidentally. And the sharp edge of the tube on a plywood floor is pretty slip resistant anyway.

Ha! Same here. But mine is not the PM1236T, just the lowly PM1236... I am not even going to call and ask... It will get here when it gets here, lol...

I also need to start thinking where the heck in the garage is going to live...

So tagging along for ideas shared by existing owners.

I have the same problem of where it is going to live!

I added a 7" wide shelf the length of the backsplash. Created braces out of 3" square tubing cut at 45, also added a brace made out of 1-1/2" angle bolted to backsplash and right end cabinet. Very sturdy, This is a PM-1340GT but same principle.

View attachment 387709View attachment 387710View attachment 387712

I also raised my lathe 7". I'm 6'10", so might be a little high for some.

View attachment 387711

Holy Cow.... 6'10"! No wonder you added 7". Your top shelf looks good, I would like to get a better look at your tool holder setup.

Tim

Tool holder is simply a piece of 1/4"x3" aluminum bar with 1/8"x2" roll pins for keepers. The aluminum bar is attached to a piece of unistrut that is welded to the front of the 7" wide shelf via some gussets made out of 1/8" mild steel on 45 degree angle. Spaced about 18" apart.

image6.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image8.jpeg

First one I made was using 1-1/2"x1/8" aluminum angle cut into pieces mounted on the unistrut and it sucked. Holders could fall off pretty easily. With the roll pins, they are secure but are easy to pull off or put on. Once I determined the spacing, for the roll pins, pretty quick to drill all the holes on the mill. I used an 1/8" end mill and didn't go all the thru the 1/4" bar. Wasn't my idea and I'd reference the original that I saw but I haven't been able to find it again.

Some don't like to reach over headstock to retrieve tools but not an issue for me.

Last edited:
Several people have asked, so I prepared a write-up on the specifics of the QC tool rack I developed for my PM-1340GT. Hope this is useful.

Attachments

• QC Tool Rack for the PM-1340GT Metal Lathe.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 245
Several people have asked, so I prepared a write-up on the specifics of the QC tool rack I developed for my PM-1340GT. Hope this is useful.
Oh I really like this design. It's similar to the French Cleat system that I started using in my wood workshop. I will also be adding this rack to my mill since I already have most of the materials.

Now I need a arbor press.:)

Thanks David.

Thanks for posting David. Very nice.

Back