Ideas for PM-1236T Setup

I added a 7" wide shelf the length of the backsplash. Created braces out of 3" square tubing cut at 45, also added a brace made out of 1-1/2" angle bolted to backsplash and right end cabinet. Very sturdy, This is a PM-1340GT but same principle.

View attachment 387709View attachment 387710View attachment 387712

I also raised my lathe 7". I'm 6'10", so might be a little high for some.

View attachment 387711
Can you show a picture from the front of how you routed the DRO read cables? Are they under the back splash or did you drill some holes through it?
Thanks!

The are under the back splash. I've got them zip tied on head stock end (so they don't pull on connectors) but they just dangle behind the machine. I tried magnets (collect swarf), thought about the drag link chain (has to be a bad swarf trap mess) and honestly they slide along the tray and since they are armor covered, it works fine. I have the Easson 12B display and utilize all 3 inputs and have a magnetic read head on tailstock.

image11.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image12.jpeg

image9.jpeg

The are under the back splash. I've got them zip tied on head stock end (so they don't pull on connectors) but they just dangle behind the machine. I tried magnets (collect swarf), thought about the drag link chain (has to be a bad swarf trap mess) and honestly they slide along the tray and since they are armor covered, it works fine. I have the Easson 12B display and utilize all 3 inputs and have a magnetic read head on tailstock.

View attachment 387924
View attachment 387925
View attachment 387926

View attachment 387927
Thanks! This is interesting, my splash sits right on top of the tray, do you have a lot of chips escape?

No, the backsplash is angled and extends back over the chip tray, so very little if any escape out back there. I've got 2 large Walmart aluminum cookie sheets under the lathe that catches all the chips.

Some pictures of my PM-1340GT setup on a base that I shamelessly copied with some modification from David Best original design. The lathe uses a VFD system that was built for me by Mark (MKJS).

For drawers in the base I used Harbor Freight 56 In. Double Bank Top Chest. I removed and flipped the top cover and installed three 20 Inch 500LB Capacity Heavy Duty Full Extension Ball Bearing Side Mount Drawer Slides so I can have another high capacity drawer on the top. I still need to finish painting the additional 5 sheet metal drawers. I also copied David's idea for the tool holders but somewhat simplified the individual mounts by using aluminium angle cut sized and shaped to accept the BXA tool holders instead of David's design with dowel pins, I was lazy, I wanted to do something quickly.

I used the original chip/oil tray that came with the lathe and modified it (shortening and sealing the holes) to be used as a slide out chip tray under the lathe.

I am very happy with the final result. It is at the right height for me (I am 6'2" in the morning...). It makes excellent use of the space/volume under the lathe with easy access. It is rock solid and adjustable for removing any twist in the lathe bed. The fabrication of the base was a very satisfying project, I used a MIG welder and made an extensive use of my 24" x 48" CertiFlat welding table. I used a high temperature 2 component epoxy paint to paint the base and this was much less fun but doable...

The VFD by Mark Jacobs works extremely well, was easy to integrate and Mark brings a treasure trove of knowledge that he is very happy to share.

20211210_011755.jpg

I managed to squeeze in 4 additional drawers on the right

20211210_011859.jpg

Flipped top cover made into a drawer. VFD is on the left of the drawer chest. One shot oiler is not hooked up yet to the lathe

IMG_4355.JPG

Good space inside the drawers for a full set of 5C collets

20211210_011647.jpg

20211210_011945.jpg
20211210_012028.jpg

Tool holders and backsplash support

20211210_012252.jpg

BXA holders

Big thank you to David and Mark for their inspiration and help. Also thanks for the many other ideas that I received from multiple answers to my questions and from posts by many H-M members.

Ariel

The following links might give you some useful ideas.

Hope this helps.

David

David, that is a fine, FINE setup!

Some pictures of my PM-1340GT setup on a base that I shamelessly copied with some modification from David Best original design. The lathe uses a VFD system that was built for me by Mark (MKJS).

For drawers in the base I used Harbor Freight 56 In. Double Bank Top Chest. I removed and flipped the top cover and installed three 20 Inch 500LB Capacity Heavy Duty Full Extension Ball Bearing Side Mount Drawer Slides so I can have another high capacity drawer on the top. I still need to finish painting the additional 5 sheet metal drawers. I also copied David's idea for the tool holders but somewhat simplified the individual mounts by using aluminium angle cut sized and shaped to accept the BXA tool holders instead of David's design with dowel pins, I was lazy, I wanted to do something quickly.

I used the original chip/oil tray that came with the lathe and modified it (shortening and sealing the holes) to be used as a slide out chip tray under the lathe.

I am very happy with the final result. It is at the right height for me (I am 6'2" in the morning...). It makes excellent use of the space/volume under the lathe with easy access. It is rock solid and adjustable for removing any twist in the lathe bed. The fabrication of the base was a very satisfying project, I used a MIG welder and made an extensive use of my 24" x 48" CertiFlat welding table. I used a high temperature 2 component epoxy paint to paint the base and this was much less fun but doable...

The VFD by Mark Jacobs works extremely well, was easy to integrate and Mark brings a treasure trove of knowledge that he is very happy to share.

View attachment 388103
I managed to squeeze in 4 additional drawers on the right

View attachment 388104
Flipped top cover made into a drawer. VFD is on the left of the drawer chest. One shot oiler is not hooked up yet to the lathe

View attachment 388108
Good space inside the drawers for a full set of 5C collets

View attachment 388109

View attachment 388105 View attachment 388107
Tool holders and backsplash support

View attachment 388106
BXA holders

Big thank you to David and Mark for their inspiration and help. Also thanks for the many other ideas that I received from multiple answers to my questions and from posts by many H-M members.

Ariel
Ariel,

That is a really beautiful setup as is David's. Would you mind sharing with us the the height from the bottom rail to the top of the side frames and the height from the floor to the centerline of the lathe?
Thank you!

Mike

Ariel,

That is a really beautiful setup as is David's. Would you mind sharing with us the the height from the bottom rail to the top of the side frames and the height from the floor to the centerline of the lathe?
Thank you!

Mike
Thank you Mike!

The heights from the floor are as follows:
Floor to base clearance (for pallet jack use) - 3.5"
Base of drawer chest - 5.5"
Base of lathe - 35.25"
Center line of lathe - 52.5"

Also see drawing attached.

Ariel

Attachments

• PM1340GT Base 20200614a.pdf