If You Built a Reloading Press...

@silverhawk, a rack and pinion is not going to work. A reloading press has a compound lever that cams out at the top of its stroke. It's the TDC that stops the press, not force on the load.

You want to see an example of a well-built press, check out the Redding Big Boss. Loads up to .50 BMG. Not too expensive in the grand scheme of reloading. That's assuming you're a rifleman. Pistoleros and AR nuts exit immediately right at Dillon.

It's not clear how much reloading you'll be doing, but if you want to start with a basic press, one option is a Dillon BL550,
whick is a RL550 stripped of the auto primer and powder drop mechanisms. It functions like a turret press, but can be upgraded later to RL550 spec if you choose. My son and I reload on one and have been completely satisfied with it.

I have been using the same RCBS Rock Chucker for over 30 years and loaded countless thousands of rounds over the years and it is still just as tight as the day it was new.
Ditto the above. If you study the geometry of the stroke, you see the leverage is greatly enhanced at the top of the ram stroke. This is what is required to complete the resizing operation. I have never used the primer setting function of the Rock Chucker, even tho mine came with it. I simply did not like the loss of feel as the press installed the primer. Otherwise, I cannot envision a better design. I have two buddies with Dillon stuff, and they constantly tinker with them, and express little confidence in them for any cartridge above .223.

It would be an interesting exercise to design and build one, but the design was perfected multiple decades ago.

I have several presses for different jobs. Rock chucker used for reforming brass and reloading. Built like a tank. Don’t think you can go wrong with one. Starts with a press then the rabbit hole opens wide.

I have used a Rock Chucker press for years. It's done everything I have needed to do . The nice thing is the people behind the equipment at RCBS in Oroville. They have always been more than helpful. Even on a used die set i bought that I had trouble with ,they fixed it no charge no question . You don't find that very often now days.

@silverhawk, a rack and pinion is not going to work. A reloading press has a compound lever that cams out at the top of its stroke. It's the TDC that stops the press, not force on the load.

You want to see an example of a well-built press, check out the Redding Big Boss. Loads up to .50 BMG. Not too expensive in the grand scheme of reloading. That's assuming you're a rifleman. Pistoleros and AR nuts exit immediately right at Dillon.
I will have to check that one out. It is a brand I have not heard of.

joe

I started reloading on my dad's old Redding single stage, then bought an RCBS (Don't remember the model, it was a couple of steps below the Rock Chucker). I used it for a couple of years, until a co-worker offered me a complete Rock Chucker starter kit, along with some powder, bullets, and a couple of sets of dies for $50... I took him up on that, and have been using it for almost 20 years.

Some of the Lee presses are aluminum... I would stay away from them... otherwise, pretty much any of the available presses will do anything that I am likely to need.

I think trying to fabricate one would not be as easy as it seems.

-Bear

There is a broad range of presses on the market. Variations in size and features depends on the cartridge and volumes (and personal preferences). Also, setting up a permanent reloading station at home for volume handgun reloading is different than a set up for reloading rifle cartridges at the range. So it is common for an avid reloader to have more than one press. Looking for a one-size-fits-all from the beginning might be very difficult.

There is nothing wrong with aluminum unless it is not used properly. It is more a question of compatibility between the design and the metals used. This an example of an aluminum press http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/compact-reloading-press

Lee Precision products are well designed and affordable. Unfortunately they get some bad 'press' they don't deserve. Some of their products are economical for entry level reloaders to help you get your 'feet wet'.

But the bottom line is that trying to make your own press without having any practical experience in using one or more is a long shot.

Last edited:
There is a broad range of presses on the market. Variations in size and features depends on the cartridge and volumes (and personal preferences). Also, setting up a permanent reloading station at home for volume handgun reloading is different than a set up for reloading rifle cartridges at the range. So it is common for an avid reloader to have more than one press. Looking for a one-size-fits-all from the beginning might be very difficult.

There is nothing wrong with aluminum unless it is not used properly. It is more a question of compatibility between the design and the metals used. http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/compact-reloading-press

Lee Precision products are well designed and affordable. Unfortunately they get some bad 'press' they don't deserve. Some of their products are economical for entry level reloaders to help you get your 'feet wet'.

But the bottom line is that trying to make your own press without having any practical experience in using one or more is a long shot.
I have the HARRELL press. An excellent precision press. It's only limitation is it will not handle anything much longer than 300 Win Mag but I don't have anything longer. It would not be my first choice for major wildcat case forming but I don't do that. My 300 WSM loads done on that press will shoot an inch or better at 200 yds all day long. Like any single stage press it's slow for pistol bullets. I have a pair of Dillion 550's for pistol. Changing calibers on a Dillon is quick but changing from large primer to small is kind of a PIA so I have one 550 set up for each primer size.

Last edited:
Back