I'm making a CAD model of my Atlas 618 and need some help

mvagusta

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I got a seat of the Solidworks CAD system for Christmas (whooah!) and in the middle of January I started modeling the Atlas 618 lathe (serial number 011120) that a friend gave to me a while back. The lathe is now completely disassembled and the parts are being measured using hand tools like machinist scales, dial calipers, micrometers, and a tape measure. I have been working steadily on it and am getting near the end of phase 1, which is creating the basic model. Phase 2 is checking dimensions, fits, and tolerances. Phase 3 is drawings of selected parts. Phase 4 is solid models of selected parts for 3D printing. Below are some images of the lathe and the model so far. I couldn't find any reference on the site for what size is recommended for direct embedded images, so I hope these are OK. The things I could use some help about are at the end.

Atlas 618 lathe as received.jpg
Compound Rest assembly.jpg
Atlas 618 Lathe.jpg

I could use some guidance in the following areas:
  1. Atlas/Clausing drawings. The only really useful one I have is for the spindle. These will be used to check my guesswork on items that were difficult or impossible to measure with the tools I have available. If anyone has images of any drawing for this lathe that is not already on this website, I would be glad to obtain a copy. Just about any digital format will do.
  2. Does Atlas/Clausing still provide digital images of drawings for this lathe? If so, a phone number and contact would be helpful.
  3. As long as I have the machine apart, I think I will paint it and I think I want to use a machine paint that can be brushed on. Recommendations as to paint type or application technique or experiences related to this would be welcome. For example, after cleaning a cast iron casting and prepping for paint, which means removing any lubricants such as grease and oil, how can one prevent rust from forming on the unpainted areas while the paint is curing?
  4. There are a few parts that I do not have. If you would be willing to send me measurements of any of the following, that would be great.
    1. 9-88 MT2 dead center from the M6-31X spindle assembly
    2. L2-80 MT1 dead center from the M6-5X tailstock assembly
    3. 9-41 toolpost rocker from the M6-39X tool post assembly
  5. I have the ability to scale a photo to determine measurements using the CAD system. A photo of one or more of these parts with a reasonably accurate measurement of the part's longest dimension can be used like a crude optical comparator. It works best if the photo is taken from a distance, at least 6 feet and the farther the better, to reduce optical distortion. Example below.
Hanger Bracket sketch.jpg

Is this fun, or what?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Holy smokes, clearly not your first day with CAD software!
That's aspirational, right there. Gee, I'm happy with modeling a little air valve. Or a partial model of my lathe, for my ELS. Wow! What nice work in the first post!

Does Atlas/Clausing still provide digital images of drawings for this lathe? If so, a phone number and contact would be helpful.
You could try calling Clausing:

I called them to check on parts for my 1944 Clausing 100 and they sent me dimensioned drawings for parts they did not have.

Beautiful work so far. I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished drawings.

Whoa! Somebody got BIZ-ZAY.
Nice CAD models are a rewarding art, all to themselves. Can't imagine what I'd need them for but it's really great to know they now EXIST.
These have all been down such long roads, it's good to see what they shoulda-oughta look like, placards and all.

Thanks for the feedback from you all. The photos are great and I will be able to create models based on them that are reasonably accurate. I am working on the carriage assembly right now and once that is done I can start looking for interferences and places where things don't fit properly in all of the assemblies. I am hoping to get some Atlas drawings to check features where assumptions and guesses were made, so I will give them a call and see what can be done. The first CAD drawings will probably be available sometime in June. I thought the pulleys would be done first since so many requests come for their dimensions. If there are any parts you all would like to have a drawing of, let me know and I'll start keeping a list.

Has anyone got suggestions about painting?

That is some great modeling! I have SolidWorks ver. 10 models for the thread dial assembly and what I believe to be the OEM centers if you are interested. They are reasonably accurate for most dimensions; within a few thousandths for important dimensions.

Back