I'm making a CAD model of my Atlas 618 and need some help

RJ, thanks for the offer, I would be happy to have those models! I had to make some guesses on that one because I could not figure a way to get it completely apart without damaging it.

But what do you mean by ver. 10? I am running Solidworks 2016 on my desktop tower but have a year support and can install any version up to 2023.

Here are the SolidWorks files.

I have a license for 2012 but mostly run 2010. I bought my Standard license outright in 2012 and the annual subscription cost is too rich for my blood so I don't update it. The lack of forward/backward compatibility sucks but it meets my needs for the most part.

Attachments

• 618 Thread Dial .SLDASM
    279 KB · Views: 6
  • 618 Thread Dial Body 1.SLDPRT
    283.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 618 Thread Dial Gear.1.SLDPRT
    657.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 618 Thread Dial Shaft.SLDPRT
    94.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 618 Thread Dial.SLDPRT
    187.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Craftsman MT1 Taper.SLDPRT
    156.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Craftsman MT2 Taper.SLDPRT
    153 KB · Views: 4
Here are the SolidWorks files.
This is great!
i'm honestly not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but you also have the ability to save these off as .step (.stp) files and .x_t files for translation to lots of other CAD systems (including old/new SW). There's also .iges, but those often don't come across so well.
Just in case anyone asks....

Has anyone got suggestions about painting?
Are you asking about color or brand of airbrush gun?

Because short of a total strip and taking it to the local low rider shop, you'll never be satisfied with the finish. There's bumps and pit and all manner of inclusions throughout. And like a car, the brighter and shinier the color and coating, the more these stand out. It's designed to always be, and therefore look, industrial. Flat finish is probably the way to go, but to each his own.

I think i've seen machines (including Atlas lathes) in about every color there is. So it's out there if you want it. But you know what else is out there, more than any other color? Gray. Sure, there's 50 shades of gray <snicker> but it all comes out gray. Why does it end up that way? It's not because these guys lack imagination or designer taste. It's just gray seems to hold up over time.

Certainly you (and others) are welcome to be the exception. Always up for seeing whatever a guy ends up with... that he enjoys.

This is great!
i'm honestly not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but you also have the ability to save these off as .step (.stp) files and .x_t files for translation to lots of other CAD systems (including old/new SW). There's also .iges, but those often don't come across so well.
Just in case anyone asks....
These were intended for the OP's use. As he is making a model of the completed Atlas 618 assembly, my hope and expectation is that he will post the model files in a universal format. i.e, step or iges.

SolidWorks is insidious in that the files can only be opened with a SolidWorks version the same as or later than the files were saved as. Additionally, SolidWorks doesn't allow saving as an earlier version. I find McMaster Carr a great source of solid models for various parts but the version of SolidWorks that they are currently using for their parts is newer than my 2012 version so I have to import as iges files. Also, my standard version doesn't support the feature recognition so I have to use a workaround to make modifications to the parts to suit my needs. But as you said, I don't want to look the gift horse in the mouth. ;)

Can't really help out with the topic but just gotta say thats some INCREDIBLY beautiful CAD work mvagusta!

I guess I missed the part about why you're doing this?

I guess I missed the part about why you're doing this?
For the joy of doing it? To advance everyone's knowledge? To keep busy doing something useful? Is there a reason for why we are all drawn to machining and making things?

I too am curious, but really, do we need a reason? Because one feels like it, is often a good enough reason.

Why am I doing this? A number of reasons. I have loved machines since before I could talk. My first word was "wheels." My working life was spent inventing on demand and designing machines, tooling, and assembly/manufacturing processes. My father was a machinist with his own shop and I grew up making things with my hands and doing work for my dad. I am using my father's micrometers, dial calipers, machinist scales, squares, and other measurement tools, most of which are older than the lathe, and that is pleasant because I think of him often.

I was given this lathe and it was missing some parts so I started joining groups like this, trying to find out more about the lathe and what parts were needed and how to acquire them. I noticed that there was a fair number of people wanting to know dimensions for things like the pulleys.

So I thought I would get a seat of Solidworks, model the lathe, create drawings of things that people might make for themselves, and learn something about the machine in the process. And have fun. Eventually I hope to get into 3D printing and create and test STL files so that people can make parts that might function if they were made out of plastic. I know folks have already done the change gears and put them on sites like Thingiverse. Maybe they have done the other parts, also. I plan to go that route anyway because I think it will be fun.

It has been a blast so far. Besides the modeling, there is also pleasure in documenting a machine that was first sold in the form that I have in 1939 and was produced unchanged for almost 40 years. How many products can we think of that have been on the market for that long with undergoing significant design changes? And many of the parts have features that were hand-ground and when I am measuring them it brings to mind that quite some time ago some person held this in their hands and shaped this part. So the modeling process feels like it's preserving a piece of history and honoring those who designed and manufactured it for all those years. I know, that's a bit out there, but it is another one of the reasons I enjoy doing this.

Why am I doing this?

That is a great answer, OP. Certainly your Solidworks capability has benefitted, and now that there are 3D metal printing processes, which I have used, there can be a practical benefit. As a hobby it is weird. Really, I am the only guy I know without any weird hobbies. Now to get back to my vampire butterfly collection.

Back