Important non machine tools to have?

Was just meant as an ice breaker. I was just thinking of the tools I initially used while setting up the lathe and mill.
I meant Glaring... in the sense that I couldn't imagine being able to get anything done without what I consider essentials... I wasn't trying to make a jab at you.

We all start somewhere and I think for the most of us this is a life long quest. I am fortunate in that I have some really nice tools... but I also have a fair amount of harbor freight tools. Some tools that I use a lot it is worth it to me to splurge on quality tools. Some tools I only use a couple times and a cheap tool will allow me to get done what I want to get done. Some tools like my HF center punch set, brass punches and hammers are as good as any for my purposes and have served me well for a very long time with considerable use... it is pretty hard to mess up a cylindercal brass bar. Some tools I went cheap and have regretted doing so. My budget tool budget is limited like I imagine most members are... I wish I had someone guiding me on what would probably be worth paying a premium for and where to cut corners when I started out.

Last edited:
I have one of the same, though I don't keep it in my shop. It's a shame they don't make a good scientific RPN calculator anymore. HP put out some sort of commemerative calculator a few years ago that I bought and use at work. It's about twice as big as the HP11 and a fourth as heavy. It feels cheap, not like the rugged HP calculators of the old days. I put that 11C through the ringer. Froze the LCD display solid a bunch of times, and it's always worked after thawing. Overheated it a few times, too, and it's always come back.

Now, I mostly use an HP calculator emulator on my Android phone around the house or shop.

-Ed

I also find a calculator very useful in the shop. I purchased an HP 11C "scientific" calculator several decades ago. I now keep this in the shop. I use it often. It is not solar powered, but the battery is going strong after many years. I wonder how many folks can still remember how to operate an HP calculator with RPL (Reverse Polish Logic).

I have one of the same, though I don't keep it in my shop. It's a shame they don't make a good scientific RPN calculator anymore. HP put out some sort of commemerative calculator a few years ago that I bought and use at work. It's about twice as big as the HP11 and a fourth as heavy. It feels cheap, not like the rugged HP calculators of the old days. I put that 11C through the ringer. Froze the LCD display solid a bunch of times, and it's always worked after thawing. Overheated it a few times, too, and it's always come back.

Now, I mostly use an HP calculator emulator on my Android phone around the house or shop.

-Ed

Your days of wanting an HP are over: https://www.amazon.com/SwissMicros-DM15L/dp/B01DYUKK2K. Check-out the Swissmicro website, they have other models as well.

I still have the original 15C purchased the first year they were available (82). Works fine but, is a little worse for the wear. Upon discovering this clone, I took a chance and guess what? It's just fine! Functionally identical and after 10 minutes, you'll forget it's not the real thing.

Also, I have an original HP 33C also purchased the first year the were available (80) while earning my first degree (physics and applied math). After a couple years, some of the segments in the LED started to go bad. It still works today with the same glitches it had 38 years ago. HP still makes the 35S (about $50) which is an excellent substitute for the old 33C. I have several of these around and is my main shop calculator.

Enjoy...

Ray

PS: Take a chance on the SwissMicro if you liked the original 15C. I think you'll be surprised/pleased.

broom, pan and brush

nitrile gloves

kbc, msc, mcmaster/carr catalogues

This is how it all starts. If you love tools the way most of here do, soon you'll find yourself buying more tools then you'll ever need.
Seriously, I would buy quality tools that will last and not frustrate you later.

If buying used, do your research and ask lot's of questions. Be careful with Ebay. Do price comparisons. Che k often for prevailing prices and discounts. Lots of tooling prices go up and down like the stock market.
Members here are very knowledgeable. There will be quite a few choices for every single item you want to buy., so I would consider
quality, value, condition and price. I buy a lot of older, vintage USA and European tools. Lot's of NOS tools around. Google is your friend.
Have fun.
I'll add one or two useful items to the list: Starrett screw pitch gages. The # 474 and 156M
Mitutoyo telescoping gages, Etalon Micrometers.
Have fun and good luck.

Get the harbor freight 4x6 bandsaw and join the yahoo group for it to get it cutting good add a good bimetal blade I use mine constantly there's tons of mods to make it into a great machine the best thing is you can cut stock in the middle of the night if you want and not bother anyone

Another good thing is a good set of caliper be careful on ebay there lots of Chinese knockoffs I get all my stuff at msi viking gauge they have legitimate products at the best prices I've found I got my mititoyo 6 inch digital calipers for 99 bucks and also got a great pair of mitutoyo digital micrometers on sale at at great price I also just got a best test indicator on sale for 45 bucks

My RPL HP calculator died many years ago. However, Vicinno makes an iPhone app that exactly mimics a 15C. I use it every day.

Pedestal grinder with wire wheel on one end and a deburring wheel on the other end. Far and away the most often used tool in my shop.

If it was not mentioned, my samsung tablet, my samsung smart-ass phone ( I use it for a Hotspot in the garage)
I do lots of searches, video watching and general machinist reading in the shop.

Back