Important non machine tools to have?

This book can be purchased used in like new condition for about 4-8$ on eBay or amazon. Absolute best purchase you can make at this time for less than 10$ and will teach you a lot.

And basically any hand or measuring tools you think you need, you do need. I buy lots of my tools used. So much New is import and cost more than great older USA made tools.
05B6C0D7-106E-4318-BF21-5319BE8550AE.jpeg

Do you have a link to a good description of making one of these, or even what makes for a good brass hammer? Not that it would be particularly hard to make a hammer (weighted head on a stick), but it could be hard to make a good hammer.

No, its not hard to make a little brass hammer. I'll show you mine and why it is made the way it is but its nothing special. The first pic shows the position the hammer is used in.

IMG_5710.jpg

The head is just a piece of 3/4" OD X 1.5" long Brass. The shaft is stainless steel with a slot cut into the head end; a set screw (blue loc-tited) locks into the slot so the head won't go flying off.

IMG_5711.jpg

The shaft is epoxied into the wood handle and extends about 2" into the wood. Note that the hole for the shaft is drilled in the handle at a 5 degree angle. This is because without it, my anatomy causes the flat of the head to hit the end of the punch at an angle that can push the tip of the punch off line. The angle of the shaft corrects this and the head of the hammer hits dead flat on the end of the punch. I use the side shown in the first pic to hit the prick punch to establish my initial hole, then I use the other end of the hammer to whack the center punch. Since the center punch can't drift it doesn't matter much how I hit it.

IMG_5712.jpg

Too bad my lighting and photo doesn't do the wood justice. In real life, you would see iridescent lines in the Tiger Koa wood. It is shaped to fit my hand. I grip the hammer with my last three fingers and guide with my thumb and forefinger. This lets me hit exactly where I am looking and I can deliver that initial light tap to the prick punch I am going for without thinking about it.

I only use this hammer for marking out drill locations but I do this often enough that I needed a good, light hammer. This works for me.

IMG_5709.jpg

Dave, Mikey thanks for the hammers. That is more or less what I was imagining, but thought there might be more to it.

Another project added to my list. How does anyone makes stuff, it seems like most are too busy making tools to actually make anything. :)

This book can be purchased used in like new condition for about 4-8$ on eBay or amazon. Absolute best purchase you can make at this time for less than 10$ and will teach you a lot.

And basically any hand or measuring tools you think you need, you do need. I buy lots of my tools used. So much New is import and cost more than great older USA made tools.
View attachment 256543

I like how you set up your shot! The mics and tool box are a nice setting for the book.

Wood stove, coffee pot, stuff my grandfather left me......mostly, his knowledge.....he was a tool and die man..

After getting my metal lathe I had to get tooling and a lot of the items mentioned in above posts. I soon realised I did not have anywhere to store the items.

Over time I have purchased tool chests for storage. This one is 33in wide. Designed to be on top of another chest. I picked this up as floor model for $100 at Home Depot. I disabled the mechanism which prevents the drawers from opening if the top is open since the way I am using this the top is normally open and it will not tip. This is mounted on a piece of 3/4in ply and the casters screwed through the plywood into the bottom of the chest. In my cramped shop I need to move this around so I made a handle out of a piece of maple dowel screwed onto the front. Works well when I need to move this around.

Tool_chest_top_tray_7973.jpg

It is amazing how quick we can run out of storage space. I waited for the Black Friday sales this past Thanksgiving and got this 46in workbench at Home Depot for $200. I replaced the original casters with swivel locking casters like the one on the 33in chest. I like this workbench and happy that it is not - yet - full.

Workbench_ready_for_use_8354.jpg

If a machinists level is listed I missed it. I believe a relatively accurate level is used early in the game with machine shop equipment.
Have a good day
Ray

Some things all shops need, some have been listed, some not.
Good bench vise
Good hack saw, yes their are crappy ones! Lenox and Sandivik are the two I have.
Set of various files, different sizes, shapes and types
Clamps, any kind you can find and as many as you can afford
Sharpie type markers
Small mirror, one on a stick helps
Good flashlight, ( I like the new smaller ones that you can adjust the light output)
Good carbide scriber for layout
Set of Starrett or similar center punches
Starrett pin punches, (Ive owned other brands, love the quality of Starrett)
File card
Number drill set
Spill proof containers, one WD40, one Rapid Tap, one Way oil
Acid brushes, Chip brushes
Good set of allen wrenches, SAE and Metric
Course, Med, Fine diamond hones for tool bits
3" and 6" Starrett dividers
Noga type rotary debur tool
Triangle scraper
4 oz & 8 oz ball pein hammers
Small dead blow ball pein hammer
8oz interchangeable head hammer
12" combination square set
6" scale (I like inch/metric black ones) and I bet I have 6 in the shop, one always in my apron pocket

I could go on but in terms of tools I use all the time that maybe one would not consider "machinist tools" these would be on my list of got to have. Many of these items are things that were on the list when I started my apprenticeship or were things I found myself borrowing often so I got my own very early on. I remember those days, getting paid on Thursday and either saving some $ for a tool or going and getting tools. It was an exciting time. I think Ive bored my wife several times when she has asked, "whats that ?" and she got a story of when I bought it and why I had to have it 40 years ago.

I'm going to start compiling the suggestions, so time to add your 2 cents if you haven't already.

Back