[How-To] In Need of Mentoring on Arthur R. Warner Co. Precision Threading Tool

Snuck out to the shop for a quick trial. Yes the interesting thing about this cutter is that the screw goes into what is the side the cutter not the top. Could not find a single image illustrating this type of tool holder and cutter.
d2a197db44009d9e81b4db063fcb8f6b.jpg
58e4cae6badb613a12314680424f66d5.jpg

Look up the indexable cutter designation MTVOR. This is a moderately common threading holder - I have one too.

Looks like you now have it set up correctly in the tool post. Your pictures do not show compound angle, but I'll assume you know what you are doing there.

Look up the indexable cutter designation MTVOR. This is a moderately common threading holder - I have one too.

Looks like you now have it set up correctly in the tool post. Your pictures do not show compound angle, but I'll assume you know what you are doing there.

My bad. Compound is set at 59.5. Yes, spot on with your post in #19. If ARW had posted one similar graphic my and probably 100's of others questions would have been answered. What a waste of customer service rep's time.

Ron

My OCD kicked in. :rolleyes: Like I said, <60 min in Basic Microsoft Paint.
I don't know why it looks to me like there are two pictures posted. Guess we'll find out.

Ron
ARWagnerThreadingTool.png

My OCD kicked in. :rolleyes: Like I said, <60 min in Basic Microsoft Paint.
I don't know why it looks to me like there are two pictures posted. Guess we'll find out.

Ron
View attachment 364835
I reused the photo when commenting on the different styles of indexable threading toolholders. Nice edit, that is exactly right.

I reused the photo when commenting on the different styles of indexable threading toolholders. Nice edit, that is exactly right.
Thank you, not perfect but "That'll do pig. That'll do." :). Passing it forward. No idea where the first illustration originated, hope I didn't take too many liberties.

Ron

When advancing the tool with the compound set at 60 degrees, the amount dialed into the compound is exactly double the amount the tool actually moves. In other words, if you dial in .006 on the compound, the tool tip will move .003 relative to the longitudinal axis of the lathe.

Thanks. I didn't know the relationship was that specific. Cut some thread yesterday, went really well until I mentally mixed up odd number threads can't be re-engaged on any mark. Definitely the operator, should gave stuck with using #1. The Logan dial doesn't have odd numbers, 1 & - & 2 & - and I paid for not reviewing the manual.

When advancing the tool with the compound set at 60 degrees, the amount dialed into the compound is exactly double the amount the tool actually moves. In other words, if you dial in .006 on the compound, the tool tip will move .003 relative to the longitudinal axis of the lathe.
Are you sure you aren't discussing the wrong 'zero' here? At a normal threading angle (30 degrees to the material, 60 to the spindle... i think), you would move left/right at 2x, and about 87% of the amount 'in'.

Also note the complexity involved thanks to DOC vs diameter-reduction dials.

I had suggested to Little Machine Shop where I purchased the tool they post a "professional" graphic to the "Chris' Notes on the tool page. They have asked if they could use the graphic. I told them they may run into copyright issues.

Ron

I had suggested to Little Machine Shop where I purchased the tool they post a "professional" graphic to the "Chris' Notes on the tool page. They have asked if they could use the graphic. I told them they may run into copyright issues.

Ron
It was a clip from a Dorian tools google search result

Back