Indexable Face Mill Troubles

I'll make some v blocks and see if that helps, even with new inserts, they will always come in handy. I think I'll get both inserts you listed as I also need them for my fly cutter anyways. I think the 303 will like the aluminum inserts

another thing worth mentioning I think, is don't be swayed by how the insert manufacture may label the geometry as "Roughing" or Medium Duty, I have a Bridgeport clone and ALWAYS use finishing inserts to Semi Finishing, they require less power, and sometimes have better shear charictaristics so it takes the load off the machine. for my badboy face mill I use a Mitsubishi ASX445 3" 6 tooth, the inserts resemble yours a little, and when I really want a mirror finish on steel I throw on an ACTUAL wiper insert, it doesn't look like the normal inserts its weird, it also hangs down about .008 below the other inserts so it makes its own finish cut after the other inserts make their cut. you can also run just 1 insert in your cutter body. or 2 if you have an even number. Fact is you don't have the power or rigidity to run certain insterts. neither do I, they are made for 20hp VMCs that don't have a lack of rigidity lol. you did do right by going with a 45deg cutter tho. the other guys are right, insert selection is tough, the Mitsubishi inserts I use are Cermets and cut most steels, cermets also don't like coolant or oils, I read that it can make them crack or whatever from shock, they work better with a little heat

I'm using SEHW and SEHT inserts (Kennametal and Korloy) in both 2" and 5" Glacern 45° face mills. The finish is darn near a mirror. With the correct feeds and speeds I'm having no issues. BTW, these are on a Bridgeport. I don't understand the previous comment about these not giving a good finish on a BP.

, cermets also don't like coolant or oils, I read that it can make them crack or whatever from shock, they work better with a little heat

Some cermet inserts don't like to be used in dry conditions because of thermal cracking and fracturing. So coolant is required.

I didn't know that, in the book for mine it says don't use coolant or oil with cermet because of thermal shock.

I hope your not thinking I meant you can't get a good finish on a bridgeport with those inserts, I also get a mirror finish with my inserts, I was just stating that Some inserts simply don't work on these less than solid machines. I have some inserts that just won't cut it clean.

I didn't know that, in the book for mine it says don't use coolant or oil with cermet because of thermal shock.

I hope your not thinking I meant you can't get a good finish on a bridgeport with those inserts, I also get a mirror finish with my inserts, I was just stating that Some inserts simply don't work on these less than solid machines. I have some inserts that just won't cut it clean.

I wasn't thinking that. Just stating there are cermet inserts that you should run with coolant.

Back