Indian machinery

skogkatt007

Registered
Registered
Please post if you have specific knowledge (i.e owned or otherwise used some). I kind of doubt there.are many or any people on this forum that own an Indian lathe. But oh well. Was wonderimg about the overall quality of smaller Indian lathes. Are they very shabhy, average but capable, absolutely horrendous. It's an extremely big country in terms of population. I doubt they're all crack machinists if most of what they use is their own native products and they stink. But what do I know.

I was rummaging and spied a ~13" unit and another tiny Sherline clone. Absolutely intrigued at this point. The prices are VERY good, but shipping ...

I had an Indian made clone of a Myford Super 7 and it was pretty decent. Had some oddness because the lead screw was Acme, but the compound thread was trapezoidal. Castings were very high quality mind you.

That's good to hear. It's only natural that they clone British lathes. Current models often have gapped beds and other features from across the pond. They look more British then American AHAHAHAHAHAHA. It's all good by me though. But I fear shipping will be a prohibitive

You never know.
I bought my mill direct from China and basically saved what would have been shipping from a ‘local’ dealer.

Yeah but if you look at many of the direct shipping rates on aliexpress, you may just ball up and cry.

I think I'm getting this right (you know, rupees), a 12" x 20" lathe w/a gorgeous blue paint job for around 900 usd. The same basic model was available from a different vendor with a hot rod paint job. I am officially in love.

Yeah but if you look at many of the direct shipping rates on aliexpress, you may just ball up and cry.

I think I'm getting this right (you know, rupees), a 12" x 20" lathe w/a gorgeous blue paint job for around 900 usd. The same basic model was available from a different vendor with a hot rod paint job. I am officially in love.

I bought directly from the factory, not an intermediary.
But yes Aliexpress shipping can be cheap.

Do you have a link to the machine that you are looking at?

I worked for a guy back in the early 70s, he had a Kirloskar, the quality was excellent, only fly in the ointment was that it had me changing gears all too often, it was QC, but the ratio between threads and feeds was too wide, if you had it set for common thread pitches, the feeds were too coarse, and vice versa; there was a 8:1 ratio between the two ranges, I regeared the change gears for a 4:1 ratio and it was more convenient, but confused the owner ----

What is a “smaller” lathe. I have a 15” Enterprise (Mysore Kirloskar), not a real heavy duty machine. It is 60” btw. centers and only 2500 pounds. It is a big enough machine to be very useful. It is a small enough machine that it is easy to move, easy to power, tooling is still pretty cheap and it is not a clunky low speed machine. I have had it 40 years, have used it a lot, taken good care of it and never had any trouble. I have two other smaller, 11”, manual lathes - the MK is still my goto machine - it works well, it is easy to operate and I have it well dressed out. It is basically a Colchester knock off (certainly not a clone, but has similar features).

They must have sorted the change gear issue that benmychree referred to. Occasionally I need a very course thread or feed (the best it will do is 4 tpi, with change gears I get down to 2 tpi), I don’t recall what the fastest feed rate is, but with the 2x gears gives a good phonograph profile on flange faces. Other than that it is extremely rare that I have to swap gears (the quick change has the metric/imperial selection built in - so covers over 99.9% of the application that I have run into).

I suggest, similar to machines made anywhere in the world, some are good, some are terrible. You can’t claim that any machine made in X country is good/bad.

Back