Indian machinery

If you look at the 2nd to last photo under the lathe in the 2nd link, there's a sticker on the tailstock that says "Liner bearing system turcite-b coated". I sort of know what turcte is. Not sure how it applies to a new lathe.

If you look at the 2nd to last photo under the lathe in the 2nd link, there's a sticker on the tailstock that says "Liner bearing system turcite-b coated". I sort of know what turcte is. Not sure how it applies to a new lathe.
Some machines come with this under the saddle from new.

Wears a long time.

I think this is a video of that lathe being made:

I watched that the other day, horrible machine.

Pretty sure they took the worst of the HF lathe and others and combined them all into one machine.

11x19" with a quick change gear box could be a nice small shop lathe, and good alternative to the common 10x22 lathes if the price and quality are comparable.

375lbs so will need some mechanical assistance to move in but well within engine hoist limits.

Only a 20mm (4/5") spindle bore and a 1/2hp motor which is less than most 10x22" lathes, but typical of vintage 10" lathes.

This is my idea of a nice small lathe

2" swing

I actually want one of those Manson lathes, but I don't want to pay the $700-1000 price tag that they seem to sell for.

It's pretty dang amazing for what it is.

You could always build a set of wooden patterns and send them off to Cat Tail foundry in PA.

I watched that the other day, horrible machine.

Pretty sure they took the worst of the HF lathe and others and combined them all into one machine.
Why is it horribel? I didn't make it through the whole video. That is a much bigger lathe then what I was looking at.

You gotta love that hot rod paint job at least.

Why is it horribel? I didn't make it through the whole video. That is a much bigger lathe then what I was looking at.

You gotta love that hot rod paint job at least.
I think the paint job is the best thing about it.

Besides the things I mentioned above, Ie poor layout that leans toward capacity over rigidity, there's the cold pour at the foundry, castings not left to season at all which will move over time, the height of the tool post from the ways.......

For a $500 HF lathe a lot of this could be overlooked and honestly wouldn't matter much if at all, Im not nocking those.

But for something of this size those things will only cause issues down the road.

Back