Inspired Build of the Karl Benz 1886 Engine

At this time it is quite evident that the 6" flywheel I made earlier just isn't going to get it. It is way too small in diameter and looks out of place so I need to start over. An 8" round chunk of cast iron 1" thick is more than I want to pay and then add the shipping the price is scary.
This bar bell weight is $18.00 including shipping so this is where I will start.
IMG_2047.JPG

I have had good luck in the past with bar bell weights so I will give this one a try.

Thanks for looking
Ray

This motor may be bigger than I thought from the pics? That's a big flywheel!

Sorry Robert I will put something in one of the next pictures for size.

This 8" flywheel looks so much better than the original 6" one.
The bar bell weight started out at a little over 10 lbs but now after it's diet it is 5lbs and 11oz.
I hate cast iron dust.
IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

It did machine OK but I couldn't get an nice fine finish on the webs so I sprayed it with textured paint.
I think it will be just fine.

What do you think?

Thanks for looking
Ray

Looking great! I really like the idea that this engine is a replica of a historic machine.

Thanks wachuko and Robert for the kind words.

Now before the replica police show up and start negative replys this build is not a replica of the original engine. As the title states it is inspired by the Benz engine and has already had many changes from the original and there will be many more to come.
Like this one.

This is a 4.5" diameter chunk of aluminum.
IMG_2053.JPG

That I made into this.
IMG_2055.JPG

It is the cam shaft output pulley.
I know it is not to scale but because of the way I made the cam brackets it had to be this large to fit.

IMG_2056.JPG
IMG_2057.JPG
IMG_2058.JPG

I like it what do you think?

Thanks for looking
Ray

What he ^^^^ said! :encourage:

Boswell I don't know what to say other than THANK YOU
wachuko, Chris, and everyone that left likes thank you all as well.

No shop time today as I ran an electric circuit and installed a new range for the wife.
It is getting harder to get down on the floor these days but watching me get back up is hilarious.
No fun getting old.

Ray

Back