Inspired Build of the Karl Benz 1886 Engine

I finally got some shop time and worked on the intake slide valve.

IMG_2059.JPG
IMG_2060.JPG

I am still waiting to see how it does when the engine fires but for now I have compression and it operates smoothly.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Cooling water tank is next and I had a nice piece of 2.5" aluminum round set out for just that. After some thought I put that piece back in the drawer and found a cutoff about 1.25" thick and a piece of aluminum tubing. Now I can taper the inside of the cutoff and then press it into the tubing and then taper the outside.
Much easier than working down inside the tube and I used up some cutoffs.
IMG_2063.JPG

These are the parts that make up the tank. The center tube extends up to within 3/4" of the top of the tank and that will channel the hotter water to rise to the top of the tank. The cooler water will fall to the bottom of the tank and back to the engine via a copper pipe.
That is what it is supposed to do.
IMG_2065.JPG

Tank installed.
IMG_2067.JPG

And a view down inside the tank.
IMG_2071.JPG

Didn't get a picture of the other side of the engine but I will later.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Thanks Chris

As promised this is the other side of the engine showing the cooling water return line.
IMG_2072.JPG

This little part took quite some time to make. It is the bracket that holds the hall sensor. I wanted it to be adjustable so the curve matches the OD of the flywheel. I installed a magnet in the outer rim of the flywheel to activate the sensor.
IMG_2077.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Neat video.

And nice job on the "little part"

I made a short day of it today it was just too hot in the shop.
I routed out an area under the base for the battery holder.
IMG_2078.JPG

And turned a brass cutoff to mount an off/on switch.
IMG_2081.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

The ignition is complete and sparking.

Hall sensor pickup on adjustable bracket.
IMG_2084.JPG

Ignition module and spark plug wire installed.
IMG_2085.JPG

I moved the pivot point for the intake slide closer to the center of the cam. There was a lot of extra movement of the slide that wasn't necessary.
IMG_2087.JPG

Well we are getting down to the short rows now and not much left to do.
Carburetor, throttle, gas tank, and associated parts left then to fire it up.

Thanks for looking
Ray

I'm surprised that guy didn't wrap a rope around the flywheel and pull it. Like a lawnmower...

Back