Is an old domestic lathe worth the same as a new import lathe?

I seriously doubt that these Asian machines will be around for 50 years as are their American counterparts. Price should not be the only criteria . Quality, precision and longevity should be major factors. Parts availability is another consideration. Time , effort and money can lead to a machine that will last a lifetime. As one gentleman previously said, you also get to learn more about the inner workings of these machines.

The best part of USA made small lathes is back gear head stock.
Most of the Asian machines do not have back gears, both lathes and mills
The use belts and or reduce the motor speed.
The back gears are use for low speed cuts so reduce or eliminate chatter

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I seriously doubt that these Asian machines will be around for 50 years as are their American counterparts. Price should not be the only criteria . Quality, precision and longevity should be major factors. Parts availability is another consideration. Time , effort and money can lead to a machine that will last a lifetime. As one gentleman previously said, you also get to learn more about the inner workings of these machines.

One thing to consider is the market that the machines are targeted for. Most of the old American iron was intended to be used on a daily basis in a professional shop. As such they had to be constructed to maintain their tolerances over many years and millions of cycles. They had to earn their keep and make a profit for the company or in short order they would be replaced by a machine that could.

I recall attending a trade show several years ago and talking to a vendor that made machines for the food processing industry. This vendor caught my eye because his company was building machines to accomplish the same task as those our department was building for our companies proprietary use. The machines didn't look all that substantial so I asked how long they were expected to last in a commercial setting. He seemed rather proud of the machines and boasted they should last up to 10 years with heavy use. He defined "heavy use" as up to 40 hours per week. I thanked him and went on my way. I didn't bother to tell him the machines we had designed and built over 40 years ago were still running, or that they were running an average of between 80 and 100 hours per week, and longer during peak demand times. His machines were designed and built for a much different market than the machines we built. I believe the same is true of the Asian machines marketed to the hobbyists as opposed to the American built machines of the past being marketed to the professionals.

Other things that should be considered are whether are parts available, and is the model you are looking at in the current model line? Factory or vendor support the machinery is important if you are buying because you expect the machine to be covered under some type of warranty. Parts availability is important whether the machine is covered by warranty or not.

Almost all American machines produced since the 1950's still have vendors that support them. Parts are available in hours or days depending on where you live, not weeks, months, or longer. Some time ago I purchased a 1,000 lb. hydraulic table from HF. The ram started leaking about 2 days out of warranty. I tried to get them to cover it but to no avail. I had to order a new ram with an "estimated" delivery time of 3 weeks. Three weeks turned into over three months because that model was no longer being produced and was now considered "obsolete".

The same thing happened with a Asian built appliance. This time after spending months in the shop the company said "because of it's age" (13 months old) the model was deemed obsolete and parts weren't even available. At the same time I found at least 12 mainstream appliance retailers that were currently selling the same model in their stores and online. I mentioned that to the factory rep and asked how they intended to support those sales if parts were no longer available. His answer was that if the units failed under the warranty period they would be replaced by a similar model currently in the model lineup. If they failed outside the warranty period the company would gladly sell them a new model.

Last edited:
So they build in Planned Obsolesce. They will gladly sell you a new machine. American companies never seemed to work that way. I can get any part I need for my 50 year old Logan in a matter of days. Unlike the Bolton lathe that was forced on me by a client who looked to get the cheapest way out. I was not willing to wait 2 to 3 months for a very simple part (belt tensioner). As the previous gentleman said, I also have the advantage of having Back Gearing!

So they build in Planned Obsolesce. They will gladly sell you a new machine. American companies never seemed to work that way. I can get any part I need for my 50 year old Logan in a matter of days. Unlike the Bolton lathe that was forced on me by a client who looked to get the cheapest way out. I was not willing to wait 2 to 3 months for a very simple part (belt tensioner). As the previous gentleman said, I also have the advantage of having Back Gearing!

That might have been so in the past. Not sure now.

One thing more modern CNC lathes aren’t built heavy for the reason the electronic components become so outdated that then you have a piece of scrap. Updating the electronics cost as much as a new machine. Case in point we had 2 CNC lathes at my former employer ( where I retired from ) that was awesome machines. One lost a drive board. The machines were 20 years old and still holding tolerances of + - .00025 on hard turned shafts. The control vendor (Siemens) didn’t stock replacement boards and recommended replacement of the electronics at the cost of 100k. Tried to get electronics repaired. No luck.

Replaced it with an Okuma that wasn’t half the machine. Kind of sad to see the old girl hauled out for junk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 50 year old Dyna-Myte 2400 CNC Vertical Mill (American Made) was updated with new electronics using the MACH3-3 software. That software is fairly universal and does not have much of a learning curve. With a little bit of knowledge and some time and patience almost any machine can be converted. All the electronics and stepper motors came from a manufacturer in Florida. The first photo is before update the second after.

Milling_Mach_Vert_CNC_Dyna_Myte-2400_1.jpg

IMG_1338.JPG

My 50 year old Dyna-Myte 2400 CNC Vertical Mill (American Made) was updated with new electronics using the MACH3-3 software. That software is fairly universal and does not have much of a learning curve. With a little bit of knowledge and some time and patience almost any machine can be converted. All the electronics and stepper motors came from a manufacturer in Florida. The first photo is before update the second after.

Great conversation for a home hobby or small shop machine. Industrial machines have a lot more folks to satisfy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thos are some of the sweetest small lathe's, manual and cnc, i have seen. It is good to count your blessings!

Regarding metric gears and buying an old lathe either missing the feature, or even missing all the change gears:

Electronic lead screws are starting to appear. There's a spindle speed sensor that gets divided down and fed to a stepper motor that drives the lead screw. The advantage is that you can then cut any thread, and also have any drive rate. The cost (if you make your own) will be far less than what a set of custom change gears would run. Just another option.

Last edited:
Metric threading isn't that hard to achieve on some old lathes. There are threads on here about converting atlas/craftsman lathes to cut the common metric threads. I made the conversion on my craftsman 12x36. It only required me to purchase two gears that I got off Ebay for less than $50. I can now cut the common metric thread while still being able to cut imperial threads from 8tpi and up through the QCGB on my lathe.

Back